Quick Mobo question

pcperson

n00b
Hi,
I built a system about a year ago, an AMD s754, and i had been using one of those really old powerbars that has the 3 button switch that sits on your desk and you can turn off power to all but 1 of the plugs with it. I recently got a new desk and of course, had to upgrade my dated powerbar in the process. I now have an always-on surge protector. My question is, will it damage my mobo if the power is left on to it, even though the computer is off. The green light on the mobo, and the network activity lights remain lit/flashing but everything in the computer shuts off as if you had powered down, im sure you all know how it works. So, is it ok to leave the powerline active and have those lights remain on, or should i flip the PSU off.

pcperson said:
Hi,
I built a system about a year ago, an AMD s754, and i had been using one of those really old powerbars that has the 3 button switch that sits on your desk and you can turn off power to all but 1 of the plugs with it. I recently got a new desk and of course, had to upgrade my dated powerbar in the process. I now have an always-on surge protector. My question is, will it damage my mobo if the power is left on to it, even though the computer is off. The green light on the mobo, and the network activity lights remain lit/flashing but everything in the computer shuts off as if you had powered down, im sure you all know how it works. So, is it ok to leave the powerline active and have those lights remain on, or should i flip the PSU off.

It is off. Just shut it down via the PSU when a thunderstorm is coming.

You have an ATX mobo/power supply that supports "soft power", which means that even tho you turn the computer off in Windows the mobo will still have a 5 volt charge on it, turning off the surge protector during a storm is the best way to go.

Back