Quick home network question.

Since I downgraded to AT&Ts 2GB iPhone plan for my wife and I, I finally decided to buy a wireless router. I saw the $10 Westell deal and couldn't resist. Now my current setup looks like this.

DSL Modem to 8 Port Gigabit Switch with my PC and game consoles connected to it.

I want to plug the new wireless router into the switch and share the connection with my phones and laptops. Will this need to utilize bridged mode? PPoe will try to log into my DSL modem so that isn't needed? I am a total n00b when it comes to wireless and have always been a wired guy, until this phone thing came along...

Thanks

Modem > WiFi Router > Gigabit Switch > Wired PC's.

This is an extremely common scenario.

Did you never have any type of router before? How did you setup your LAN? What did DHCP/NAT?

I assume the DSL modem functioned as a router of sorts. I didn't even think about the DSL modem being 100Mb instead of Gig so the wireless router will not slow me down. Doh!

Thanks for answering my brain dead question at 1:38AM. Now to try to get some sleep before I have to be at work in 4.5 hours.

DSL Modem to 8 Port Gigabit Switch with my PC and game consoles connected to it.

This worked?? Were you able to get more than one device internet access at the same time? If you connect a switch directly to a modem; any device connected to the switch will get a public IP address, or at least try to. That doesnt normally fly with most ISP's.

But its quite simple. Connect the modem to the routers WAN port. This will do the NAT. From there connect the switch via one of the router's LAN ports. You can then connect any device to either the switch, or any of the remaining LAN ports on the router.

I assume that his DSL modem does NAT and DHCP for the LAN side. If this is the case, it would need to be disabled so the new router can do of, or you need to disable NAT and DHCP on the new router and use it as a dumb access point. Now that I've realized that your modem was most likely a router aswell, the latter is actually the most simple solution.

Keep everything as it is, and just connect the Gigabit switch to one of the new routers LAN ports (after disabling DHCP and NAT).

It arrived today, I connected it and it configured itself and works perfectly, all I had to do it setup the firewall and the WPA2 key.

Thanks guys!

Back