questions regarding free wifi hotspots and netstumbler

merc141

Limp Gawd
I was at a local panera with my laptop and noticed that some web sites were blocked, or more specifically it would say: "This content is not authorized for viewing." I was wondering how panera does this, if their ISP configures it for them (i think its verizon business or something) or do they just have a list of ports they block at their routers. Maybe if there are some links online that can describe how they do this in detail-- i am just curious.

Also it seems that netstumbler does not work with vista... i get an access is denied message. Is this true? Is there a good substitute that works with vista?

I was at a local panera with my laptop and noticed that some web sites were blocked, or more specifically it would say: "This content is not authorized for viewing." I was wondering how panera does this, if their ISP configures it for them (i think its verizon business or something) or do they just have a list of ports they block at their routers. Maybe if there are some links online that can describe how they do this in detail-- i am just curious.

Also it seems that netstumbler does not work with vista... i get an access is denied message. Is this true? Is there a good substitute that works with vista?

They probably have a router with content filtering. Really there are many many ways to do it. A proxy MIGHT work around it.

netstumbler does not work for vista. There is no real alternative other than XP in a VM usinging a USB wireless adapter that I know of.

All Paneras use Nomadix for their wireless gateway. They also started doing content filtering a while ago. What are you doing looking at pr0n at a sandwich shop anyway????

Why are you supporting corporate america....

You need to go and buy local, where they use simple Linksys Routers that are completely open and have full access to their networks... lol.

Then go tell them that they are open and make a few dollars securing it for them. :)

Back