BeaRZeRKeR
n00b
- Joined
- Aug 26, 2004
- Messages
- 24
I haven't posted in years, but you guys in this forum have been helping me in secret
.
Anyway, I'm looking for speakers and headphones to go with my existing setup. I live in a pretty small single dorm room, so I decided to get rid of my computer monitor and just use my TV. So on one TV, I have a PC, Xbox360, PS2, and Wii set up. The logical next step was for me to get a receiver for all of them.
I got a JVC RX-D01, a 770 watt 7.1 receiver with a 1/4" eaphone jack. My computer feeds into from my X-fi Xtreme Music sound card via a digital I/O dongle using digital coaxial at 48khz. My receiver won't take it at any higher rates. My 360 uses an optical digital cable (presumably at 48khz). I'm not really as interested in quality audio on my PS2 or Wii, but they use optical digital and RCA respectively.
What I'm looking for is speakers to connect with the receiver. I'm using the $50 Sony bookshelf speakers that they sell at Bestbuy, which sound ok, but not anything to blow people away. I don't really want to blow a lot of money on a ultra loud sub, because walls are thin here, and I want to be good neighbor by keeping my lows at a friendly volume. I'd be interested in a 2.0 with decent bass, or a 2.1. I'm not really sure what my price range is. If I can get what I'm looking for for less than $100, that's great, but I might be persuaded to save up for something nicer.
I know people commonly recommend headphone amps, but would I really need one if I'm plugging into a 770W receiver? I used three year old Sennheiser HD280's for awhile, and I really noticed a good increase in quality when I got the receiver. It was the only time I've ever really been taken aback by quality, but it might have been because I wasn't really expecting it since sound is psychologically subjective in my opinion. Unfortunately right speaker gave out in them, so it's time to switch.
I'm looking to spend less than $100, but I might be looking for too much at that price point. I'd be using them 90% of the time at my computer/xbox, but I would also like to be able to use them with my mp3 player. That's less important, so I'm definitely not going to spring for a portable amp or anything. Also, aesthetics and comfort are valuable to me. I'd like something that looks good without jumping out like Skullcandy. I'd be cool with any physical style except for the kind with cups that still sit on the ear.
I play a lot of FPS games, but my main focus is still listening to music. I listen to electronica and rock equally, plus some bluegrass.
Answering any part of my post would be appreciated, as well as comments about my current setup. Thanks for your time.
Anyway, I'm looking for speakers and headphones to go with my existing setup. I live in a pretty small single dorm room, so I decided to get rid of my computer monitor and just use my TV. So on one TV, I have a PC, Xbox360, PS2, and Wii set up. The logical next step was for me to get a receiver for all of them.
I got a JVC RX-D01, a 770 watt 7.1 receiver with a 1/4" eaphone jack. My computer feeds into from my X-fi Xtreme Music sound card via a digital I/O dongle using digital coaxial at 48khz. My receiver won't take it at any higher rates. My 360 uses an optical digital cable (presumably at 48khz). I'm not really as interested in quality audio on my PS2 or Wii, but they use optical digital and RCA respectively.
What I'm looking for is speakers to connect with the receiver. I'm using the $50 Sony bookshelf speakers that they sell at Bestbuy, which sound ok, but not anything to blow people away. I don't really want to blow a lot of money on a ultra loud sub, because walls are thin here, and I want to be good neighbor by keeping my lows at a friendly volume. I'd be interested in a 2.0 with decent bass, or a 2.1. I'm not really sure what my price range is. If I can get what I'm looking for for less than $100, that's great, but I might be persuaded to save up for something nicer.
I know people commonly recommend headphone amps, but would I really need one if I'm plugging into a 770W receiver? I used three year old Sennheiser HD280's for awhile, and I really noticed a good increase in quality when I got the receiver. It was the only time I've ever really been taken aback by quality, but it might have been because I wasn't really expecting it since sound is psychologically subjective in my opinion. Unfortunately right speaker gave out in them, so it's time to switch.
I'm looking to spend less than $100, but I might be looking for too much at that price point. I'd be using them 90% of the time at my computer/xbox, but I would also like to be able to use them with my mp3 player. That's less important, so I'm definitely not going to spring for a portable amp or anything. Also, aesthetics and comfort are valuable to me. I'd like something that looks good without jumping out like Skullcandy. I'd be cool with any physical style except for the kind with cups that still sit on the ear.
I play a lot of FPS games, but my main focus is still listening to music. I listen to electronica and rock equally, plus some bluegrass.
Answering any part of my post would be appreciated, as well as comments about my current setup. Thanks for your time.