Dew itt right
2[H]4U
- Joined
- Oct 28, 2005
- Messages
- 3,314
.....Okay, I'm trying to learn a bit more about sound technology but I'm find it hard to answer a few questions. I've learned that sound is produced digitally and is coverted to analog via DAC's before transmitted through speakers. Purchasing a sound card typically offers better sound quality via higher quality DAC's and it takes the conversion load off the CPU. Correct so far?
.....But if you're using an optical or SPDIF port from your PC to your speakers, is there any reason to get a sound card over your onboard sound if the conversion is being outsourced anyway? I'd assume the sound card wouldn't really relieve the CPU of any load in this case since nothing is being converted by the PC?
.....Also, if your PC has both optical and SPDIF and your speakers accept both, is there any difference between the two? My rig is in the sig for more info and the sub sits less than 3 feet from the PC so distance isn't a factor. Thanks in advance for the clarification...
.....But if you're using an optical or SPDIF port from your PC to your speakers, is there any reason to get a sound card over your onboard sound if the conversion is being outsourced anyway? I'd assume the sound card wouldn't really relieve the CPU of any load in this case since nothing is being converted by the PC?
.....Also, if your PC has both optical and SPDIF and your speakers accept both, is there any difference between the two? My rig is in the sig for more info and the sub sits less than 3 feet from the PC so distance isn't a factor. Thanks in advance for the clarification...
