Questions about rebuilding a network

centurion

Limp Gawd
Current Equipment:
(2) Workstations (1 Vista Ultimate, 1 XP Pro)
(1) Media Center (Vista Ultimate)
(1) Laptop (XP Pro)
(1) Server (2x Xeon 5130, 6gb FB-DIMM, 120gb SATA OS Drive, 4x 500gb in SW RAID 5)
(1) WRT54G v3
(1) Netgear GS108 8port Gigabit Switch
(1) Desktop (1ghz Athlon w/ 1gb RAM)

So, I'm moving into a new house and getting ready to rebuild my network. I, like a lot of people, are very busy and don't have time for a lot of testing and configuring. The server I recently bought to be a file/game/newsgroup downloading/media streaming/web server. I'm currently running Server 2008 because it's easy to install/manage and is compatible with any app I could want to run on it. The plan is to set up some VM's for some of the tasks like web/game serving so that they don't mingle with the rest of the important stuff. I've had a lot of people tell me to use Linux but, being a former hardcore Linux user, I've decided not to because it's just a lot of time configuring... more so than I really have time to do.

Aside from that, I'm going to during the 1ghz desktop into an Untangle machine and convert the WRT54G into an AP for wireless use.

I'm also trying to purchase a 24port Netgear GS724T (managed switch) to make some of this stuff easier with things that I do (LAN parties, school projects, etc...)

Anyone have any suggestions or guidance they can offer me in relation to the server side and maybe some resources to guide me through the process? I'm still very new to Server 2008 and have been trying to figure out stuff like Active Directory to make some of the file sharing stuff easier.

Back