[Question] Streaming game video over a LAN for recording

Dracius

n00b
Here's my dilemma, I want to FRAPS or stream my gameplay footage at high resolutions, but when ever I do my FPS gets utterly destroyed. So I'm looking for a way to record my gameplay footage that won't drastically lower my FPS.

That said, there has to be some low resource way to stream my video to a second computer and then have that computer do the recording. I'm posting here because I'm not sure of the best way to do that and I'm also not sure if it will be any less of a strain on my main rig. The hard part for me is figuring out the best way to stream it over the network. Once I have the video(and audio?) streaming to the 2nd PC, I can easily record it with fraps/livestream/etc.

I appreciate any help you can provide me on this so feel free to ask me questions if you need more details.

Comp1: Win 7 (game rig)
Comp2: Win XP (secondary PC that I want to use for recording)

Since no one seems to have the answer, can someone please point me towards the right section for me to post this question in?

Is just setting up a remote desktop over the network my best course of action? Can I even do that between a win7 and winXP machine?

If there's anyway to do it, I know someone here has to know the answer.

i would guess gaming area would be best

yes you can remote to win 7, from xp, dont know if windows natively does it, but other programs will, logmein is proof of concept, VNC as well.

I've always wanted to be able to do this too - screen capture, without using software but at a hardware level.

The only thing I can think of, is a secondary cloned video output, that goes to some kind of recording device. A card that has a RCA out could go to a VCR, but the resolution won't really be that great. I had actually done it at one point when I wanted to make a game play halo video. There has to be some way of doing this with VGA or something and to a better quality recording device. A PVR maybe? I don't know much about those.

And speaking of fraps, how do you even get that app to record anything? I've never managed to get it to work, and just gave up. The hot keys don't do anything when pressed.

i used to do this with a spare PC that had a TV capture card to record, worked great.

i would guess gaming area would be best
It's not really a gaming question though, I'm just trying to share my screen over the network.

I'll look into logmein and VNC incase they're what I'm looking for, thank you!

VNC will give you lag and you wont get a steady stream of video will be stuttery as heck, logmein wont do it either to view the screen while someone else is playing on the other one.

What are your computer specs?

i found with fraps for it to be smooth

1. save the recording to a different phsyical harddrive
2. assign a specific core to the fraps.exe if you have a quad core
3. set the FPS cap in fraps to be 60FPS

this always worked for me.

VNC will give you lag and you wont get a steady stream of video will be stuttery as heck, logmein wont do it either to view the screen while someone else is playing on the other one.

What are your computer specs?

Win7
8GB DDR2 1066 Ram
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz
EVGA GeForce GTX 275 Superclocked Edition 1792MB
EVGA NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Motherboard

I've only a single harddrive however:
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive.

It's sounding like my best option is to just upgrade to a quad core, which has long since been the weakest link in my system.

Also, do you know a way to make the origional recording of FRAPS not so damn huge? a 30min video is coming out to be around 15-30gigs.

Back