Question on upgrade, e2220 ->e8300

Dan

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
May 23, 2012
Messages
8,090
My fiancée rig is a dell with a e2220 2.4ghz 1mb cache. I got my hands on a e8300 2.83 with 6mb for free. Ones is a 65nm and the other is 45, both socket 775. If the bios allows should this work?
Edit: also will I have to reformat? I know with modern processors you don't have too
 
Assuming there aren't any weird limitations caused about by any custom dell motherboard, the E8300 should work.
 
What model Dell? 965 based and some 3 series based Dells don't support the 45nm chips.
 
it'll work as long as the bios allows, you don't have to reformat or anything, sometimes you have to reactivate windows since the hardware changed, but you might not have to.

it really depends on the 775 board though, do you know the model number?
 
inspiron 518 was the unit itself (setup is now in a fragbox case)
 
The 518 supports 45nm Core 2 processors. I'd make sure it's running the most current bios first though. Better safe then sorry.
 
thanks, im going to flash the bios when my fiance leaves... (she hates me touching her shit) this should be a decent upgrade I would think. all she really plays is BL2 and D3. i think the CPU is seriously bottlenecking the GPU (560 2gb running a 1920x1200 display)
 
I'd have to agree on the bottle necking. Should be a relatively sizable upgrade.
 
went great! thank you guys!
edit: I went from a 2091 final fantasy 14 benchmark to a 2913. id say awesome free upgrade :D
 
Last edited:
Back
Top