• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Question on P4 and tera server

Irishllama

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 29, 2004
Messages
1,634
Ok, I was wondering what would you recommend the lowest P4 ghz but still having performance for my upcoming 1.5 terabyte server? I was wondering b/c i have a 1.6 ghz P4 (Folding 24/7 btw) and i was wondering if this was ok?

-Garland
 
Unless you're doing software raid, cpu speed isn't a priority, but 64 bit PCI is. 32 bit pci will realistically only allow for 300 MB/s transfers over lan. Not that that's a huge problem, you're probably not going to even get near theoretical bandwidth on a home server. But I believe the bus is still the limiting factor. Any dissenters?
 
Its just for Music and Movies for my HTPC. Im just going to be using 100mbit till i get enough money for giga. When i get giga i'll update the p4 to say a 2.2ghz


 
Back
Top