Question on Ghost Corp Iicensing

GT98

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking at getting ghost to do OS updates at our office (need to update 95 Windows 2K PC to Windows XP), but I'm confused at the licensing for it. Basically what I want to do is set up a server with an image on it and then push it out..but heres the rub...I'm supposed to be getting 3 licenses, but are for just those 3 machines or can I just do 3 machines at time?

From Symantec:

Symantec Ghost Solution Suite is licensed on a per machine basis (regardless of how many CPU's a machine contains). For example, if you have 200 desktops/laptops you want to manage with Ghost Solution Suite, you would need to purchase 200 licenses of Ghost Solution Suite. Included with your Ghost licenses, is a Ghost Centralized Management Console. The Ghost Console allows for centralized management of all machines in your organization that are licensed to use Ghost.

In the past, we were told that we could reclaim a license once the computer was retired/junked. Until then, once Ghost is used on it, it uses a license. So in your case, you'd eventually need the 95 licenses. There might be a price break at 100, so definitely consider picking up extra.

Pretty much what he said. Anyway also look into products like Acronis Snap Deploy and other ghost like products. Most if not all of them will be on a per system license.

Back