Question on dual lan motherboard. Can i plug something into it to get internet?

darkflames

Gawd
My motherboard is a p5k. I Currently ran out of slots on my router and i dont really want to buy a hub. I just got a xbox for christmas and there is only one ethernet port in my room, i was wondering if i could connect the xbox to the second lan port on my motherboard so my 360 gets internet while my pc is on or something? Is it possible to do that?

Yes

look up ethernet bridging.

In windows xp you select both interfaces in your network settings window, I think thats what its called anyway, and right click on one of them. You select bridge interfaces. A new virtual network bridge interface will be connected and you should be able to get a DHCP lease for the Xbox from your router through your desktop.

so would it be a hard task? Like would i have to configure soemthing on my nic to do this?

for the bridging I posted a URL to the guide click it. For a switch.. no just plug the cables in. Provided the port on the wall is connected to another switch or router (depends on your LAN) and not directly to a modem you're fine.

I am not sure if the x box will give you any trouble or not passing it through ICS and if you mostly want to do it to know how I can understand that and say go for it.

But in my past experience with ICS it wasn't all that dependable and as was pointed out the PC will have to be on for the x box to have internet.

These days you can probably get an auto sensing switch for the cost of a crossover cable and will make future expansion so much easier. Not to mention no need to deal with ICS.

what we are suggesting is bridging NOT ICS. windows will pass traffice between both NICS indiscriminately. I use bridging at work for my VM so I can test changes to my PXE server without devoting a whole computer to it.

The switch method really is the most ideal situation. you get a decent 10/100 switch for less that $30 usually and a good gigabit for less than $50

darkflames I would highly recommend you get this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122128
it will your easiest solution and you can always add a few more devices that way.

Just plug the xbox and the PC into that then run another cable to the wall.

All you would need is a cheap decent switch. It can cost you as little as $15 bucks. You won't even need a gigabit one cause the xbox360 is running at 10/100. Just forget all that dual nic configuration on your PC and grab a switch at the store or online.

All you would need is a cheap decent switch. It can cost you as little as $15 bucks. You won't even need a gigabit one cause the xbox360 is running at 10/100. Just forget all that dual nic configuration on your PC and grab a switch at the store or online.

+1 on that, much easier and you wouldn't have to rely on your computer being on to play your Xbox.

Just make sure you use a crossover cable or a switch between the pc and the xbox.

Although it would be easier to use a switch plugged into the wall and then into the pc and xbox. The only reason I mention this, is because your pc will have to be on anytime you want to use the xbox online.

heres the method for vista:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-us/help/785e46b1-f445-4bd3-93bd-1235ba2e146d1033.mspx

its the same in XP minus the UAC stuff.

You don't need a crossover cable with the Xbox360, Microsoft designed it with the intention that some users would not have an open ethernet port on their router. At least thats the case with ICS, and I'm pretty sure it will be the same case when bridging a connection. I could be wrong though, it makes sense to me, the original Xbox1 did however need a crossover cable in such situations. I guess theres only one way to find out.

You don't need a crossover cable with the Xbox360, Microsoft designed it with the intention that some users would not have an open ethernet port on their router. At least thats the case with ICS, and I'm pretty sure it will be the same case when bridging a connection. I could be wrong though, it makes sense to me, the original Xbox1 did however need a crossover cable in such situations. I guess theres only one way to find out.

not needing crossover cables is a fuction of the hardware its called Auto MDI/MDI-X not software. It makes sense that the console would support MDI/MDI-X, just a switch does, but a computer does not. If in fact the xbox does support it, then awesome, 1 issue solved.

I recommend going with the bridging route vs ICS so that he wont have to forward ports twice and have a double NAT situation.

Yea, my buddy is using ICS with his 360 and PC running XP on wireless and no matter how I setup the port forwarding or IP Adresses he's still stuck with the double NAT. Really sucks cause it makes his voice communication real laggy most the time. I wonder if I could bridge his wireless and LAN connections to fix that? I might have to give it a try one of these days.

Yea, my buddy is using ICS with his 360 and PC running XP on wireless and no matter how I setup the port forwarding or IP Adresses he's still stuck with the double NAT. Really sucks cause it makes his voice communication real laggy most the time. I wonder if I could bridge his wireless and LAN connections to fix that? I might have to give it a try one of these days.

yeah you can bridge WLAN and LAN. same process. I've done it before.

Back