Question New Folding box Intel or AMD

The[H]uman

Secret Agent Man
Okay guys question for you going to have 350 dollars to spend on a new cpu and mobo.

And this is going to be a full time folding box what would you get and why. * no gaming no nothing just folding 24/7 *

going to use the ram out of xp2000 retire it for a few till i get memory for it ( has 512mb stick in it ) or if you can show me a good cpu/mobo/memory combo that will get some good wu out then let me know that also

feedback is appreciated will be buying this tommorow most probably.

Thanks

The[H]uman

I'd say, get a AMD CPU and then get a mobo, and ram for the old one. There, doubled your output. ;) Plus, it would most probably be cheaper for an AMD setup, seeing how the P4's are $200/CPU and the AMD chips are around $100/cpu.

Well give me some good links to what you would get like what kinda of motherboard and what kinda of cpu.

Is what i'm looking for and working on getting ram for new or old box so yeah i can keep them both running

and i've read the threads on HT intels and the 20% increase so i'm looking for a board that will support the HT Pent 4 every 20% counts :) if i go with intel.

or do you think the new 64bit amd's would be good folders ?

This is all very much a personal choice thing of course..

I have an asus P4C-800D with a 2.4 running at 3.2 with a gig O ram, the 400 (read expensive) stuff. I can run two instances of folding, works great. Very expensive choice.

I have an Asus A78NX-D v 2.0 with a Barton 2500 running at 3200 speed. Gig O ram 333.

The Barton has higher overall out put then the Intel, even running two instances.

I also have several AMD Dually boards using hard modded (both SMP and speed). The duallys are cheaper to run and have higher overall output then any other machines I have.

64 bit would be way cool, but has no real advantage in folding right now, although one can't deny the "cool factor";)

Newegg is my choice for most all my purchases, they just can't be beat for overall price/service.

Fold on, and hang on to your credit card;)

BillR

talking to a friend he says get

swiftech MCX478-V heatsink
Asus P4P800
Intel 2.4c

He has his running at 330 FSB at [email protected]

so if i can get one like that be great for folding

he is trading me a stick of 512mb pc3500 mushkin to run it with

3.9 out of a 2.4 from what I've seen would be very unusual. Not that it can't be done, but I'd say he has an exceptional chip for sure.

Good luck:D

BillR

Originally posted by The[H]uman

swiftech MCX478-V heatsink
Asus P4P800
Intel 2.4c

so if i can get one like that be great for folding

he is trading me a stick of 512mb pc3500 mushkin to run it with

I think Abit IC7 or IS7 is better. Also get the SP-94 for heatsink.

FOLD ON!!!

I will let you know what i get also going to be adding trading some hdd's for it .. Asus board 1.7 Celeron and some ram so i'll toss it up for folding

so hopfully end of next wk i'll have

Pent III 500
Dual Pent III 500
1.7 Celeron
2.4 Pent 4
2.0 Pent 4
1.7 AMD
[email protected]++ I hope :)

folding for the [H]orde

Fold on

Originally posted by BillR
The Barton has higher overall out put then the Intel, even running two instances.

Really? My Dell system with 2.53Ghz always seems to be a few points ahead of my 3200. It's close though.

The reason I've been leaning towards Intel lately is because of the SSE problem with AMD. I'm rebooting probably 1 machine a day because of it.

yeah i was looking at Abit IC7 cuase i see people talking about them all the time but you have to figure that is a really nice board if i was going to put in and game with you know alot more features then i really need since this is going to be a full time folding box.

I can get the Asus board for around 100 dollars and my buddie says there is some kinda of bios hack that makes it think it's a different board for memory bandwith that is why he is able to OC this chip so high.

But I'll keep you guys posted on what i get for sure still thinking it over.

I got 512mb stick of Mushkin to run in it pc3500 so whatever i get should help OC it will.

Thanks for listing your comments they are appreciated.

Fold on

Midnight Freak you inspired me with your boxes .. I'll go broke but I'm going to catch you :eek: :eek:

Well i think this is what i'm going to order going to look at it for a few and make up my mind before i hit send with my CC # the case is the one with the neon bubbles going up the side thought kinda kewl but for the price i looked at it as side window with fan sucking air in there for extra cooling will be nice so total with shipping from newegg is 337 so that leaves me 13 dollars from the 350 I had to spend not bad so specs will be 2.6 hoppfully atleast @3.0Ghz/512Mb fold on and like relic says be careful or newegg is going to own your morgage :D

POWMAX DREAM STAR Mid Tower ATX Case with 400W Power Supply, Model "CP2347SEL-3" -RETAIL
Specifications:
Form Factor: ATX
Color: Black
Material: Metal
Drive Bays: 5.25" x 4/0, 3.5" x 2/4 (external/internal)
Expansion Slots: 7
Front Ports: 2 x USB 2.0, 2x audio, 1x IEEE1394
Power Supply: 400W
Cooling System: N/A
Motherboard Compatibility: ATX, Micro ATX
Dimensions: 8X17.2X19.5 inches (WxHxL)
Special Features: N/A $46.00 1 $46.00

Asus 865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU, Model "P4P800" -RETAIL
Specifications:
Supported CPU: Socket 478 Intel Pentium 4/Celeron Processors
Chipset: Intel 865PE + ICH5R
FSB: 800/533/400MHz
RAM: 4x DIMM support Dual Channel DDR400/333/266 Max 4GB
IDE: 2x UltraDMA 100/66 up to 4 Devices
Slots: 1x AGP 8X, 5x PCI
Ports: 2xPS2,1xCOM,1xLPT,1xLAN,SPDIF Out,8xUSB2.0(Rear 4),Audio Ports
Onboard Audio: AD1985 6-Channel Codec
Onboard LAN: 3COM Gigabit Ethernet
Onboard SATA/RAID: 2x Serial ATA 150,RAID 0
Form Factor: ATX $106.99 1 $106.99

Intel Pentium 4/ 2.6C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail
Specification
Model: Intel Pentium 4 2.6C w/ Hyper Threading
Core: Northwood
Operating Frequency: 2.6GHz
FSB: 800MHz
Cache: L1/12K+8K; L2/512K
Voltage: 1.525V
Process: 0.13Micron
Socket: Socket 478
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2
Warranty: 3-year MFG
Packaging: Retail box (with Heatsink and Fan) $175.00 1 $175.00

Tax:
$.00
Subtotal:
$ 327.99
Shipping and Handling charge*:
(FedEx Express Saver)
$10.00
Total:
$ 337.99
:D :D

Oww and it will be running Linux :D

Or you could go the route I did, and get an XP 2700/333, ($121 w/fan) a Biostar M7VIT Pro ($60), and an el cheapo case. About $225 ish.

Or get the Xp 2700/333, an Abit NF7 motherboard ($71), some PC3200 memory ($35-40), a better heatsink ($25-30), and the case. Overclock the XP 2700 to 2.33 ghz, which is easy. $300 ish, but faster.

I could build two complete 2Ghz AMD systems on that budget. They'd have no case and no hard drive, just a keyboard for peripherals (though that's not necessary either). They'd fold using a bootable Linux CD.

Originally posted by Bill Clo
Or you could go the route I did, and get an XP 2700/333, ($121 w/fan) a Biostar M7VIT Pro ($60), and an el cheapo case. About $225 ish.

Or get the Xp 2700/333, an Abit NF7 motherboard ($71), some PC3200 memory ($35-40), a better heatsink ($25-30), and the case. Overclock the XP 2700 to 2.33 ghz, which is easy. $300 ish, but faster.

so you think a [email protected] is going to be faster then a OCed 2.6c with HT ? say i mild oc so [email protected] with HT enabled a 2.33 amd is going to fold faster ?

Originally posted by Arkaine23
I could build two complete 2Ghz AMD systems on that budget. They'd have no case and no hard drive, just a keyboard for peripherals (though that's not necessary either). They'd fold using a bootable Linux CD.

True .. but want to try out Intel silicon .. the next box i build will do another amd system and how about folding for team 33 :)

I suppose this "Intel" you speak of could be ok.

Fold for 33? I'd rather just hang out and spy on you guys.

so you think a [email protected] is going to be faster then a OCed 2.6c with HT ? say i mild oc so [email protected] with HT enabled a 2.33 amd is going to fold faster ?

I don't have the numbers to say definitively either way, but from what I've read around here and on the Folding forumn, the XP2700 is pretty close to that Intel [email protected] with Gromacs wu's, and probably beats it with the Tinker units.

2.33ghz on a Barton is going to be about the equivilant of a 3.4 ghz P4 without HT, so you factor in HT, and they should be just about dead even.

You can usually buy a AMD CPU and motherboard for the same price as you could buy just an Intel CPU for. It doesn't mean Intel is bad, it just means it's going to hurt your wallet a little more.

Example, I got a Barton 2500+ for $85, and a mainboard for $115. Right there, $200. And that's for a slightly older P4, going with a newer one is even harder for someone like me on a tight budget to justify. :p

Honestly, with OCing, the P4 will probably be a better Folder. That is my humble opinion. :) Just make sure it's all stable when you start F@H.

Wow! Please ask him what he averages for PPD. I'm very curious.

I have 3 P4s non-HT that average 40 PPDG with the latest proteins and cores. At 3.9Ghz that'd be around 156 PPD.

My Barton has been getting 45 PPDG. About 100 PPD @ 2.2Ghz.

Did you see my results when factoring power costs into a year of folding? They surprised me.

Unless you get free power take a look.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=712857

Okay i'll take a look maybe if it works out i'll build 2 amd boxes intead of on intel .. i'll take a look what would you recommend for a motherboard and amd cpu ? let me know

Okay i'll take a look maybe if it works out i'll build 2 amd boxes intead of on intel .. i'll take a look what would you recommend for a motherboard and amd cpu ? let me know

Just get any mobo, like maybe a cheaper Epox board, or an MSI borad, and a 2500+ and OC it.

Don't you have to go thru unlocking these like the older ones or are they unlocked from Factory.

RE: OC on AMD

Warning !! I've read on a couple of boards that the recent and future AMD's WILL NOT be overclockable. Except for the top of the line $800 chip.
/link

Originally posted by The[H]uman:

Don't you have to go thru unlocking these like the older ones or are they unlocked from Factory.
If you're referring to the Bartons, they're all locked at week 39 and higher (ie. more recent). However, they can be unlocked. The procedure is not easy and not for the faint of heart. Details are outlined in these two threads:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=708577&perpage=15&pagenumber=1
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=707060

As the threads explain, the mod converts Bartons to mobile Athlons and then you go about unlocking the multipliers by breaking bridges. Multipliers can be freed up to 24x. If your motherboard does not support multiplier adjustment, then you download and run a program called CPUMSR that allows the user full multiplier control and voltage adjustment.

I can't vouch for its effectiveness because I failed at modding a new Barton. My new CPU is dead. I strongly recommend that anyone pursuing the Barton route to purchase a motherboard with good FSB adjustment instead of attempting this mod. Decent RAM with a board that supports FSB control should permit good OC.

well i haven't had a intel cpu since pent III 700 was last desktop one my laptops are all intel based so i'm curious on OCing a reg. intel so i think that is what i'm going to order but now i'm torn between my Asus board and the new IC7 max3 that looks like a really sweet board more features then i need since it's just going to be a folding box but really sweet just the same

Originally posted by gnewbury
RE: OC on AMD

Warning !! I've read on a couple of boards that the recent and future AMD's WILL NOT be overclockable. Except for the top of the line $800 chip.
/link

Yeah they'll all be multiplier locked, but that hasn't stopped people from overclocking. P4s have been multiplier locked since day one.

Originally posted by turmelle
Yeah they'll all be multiplier locked, but that hasn't stopped people from overclocking. P4s have been multiplier locked since day one.

Strange that that was mentioned. ;) At first, when I was a green n00b, I thought changing the mult was everything, so I got a Pally. That thing wasn't OCable at all, so I upgraded after actually learning a few things, to a Barton. I went nuts on the Barton with the mult, and now being a little more respectful of my system, and knowledgable, I know that chaning the mult is probably an inferior way to OC. It's all in the mult. HOnestly, now if my Barton was locked, I wouldn't notice. I don't even touch the mult anymore, just the FSB. RAM is where the heart of the OC is, really. You want to OC the system, not the CPU. ;)

I don't consider power costs as they're about the same over time per layer if you're running high-end stuff. I run a good chunk of my farm at home, but most of it is out-sourced. :)

This being said, why not get a 1.6ghz duron and semi-decent $45 motherboard w/ video and lan? Splurge on a $25 copper HSF cuz you know its almost unthinkable not to... and you've still got a base system for $115. Or maybe I could just grab a $75 2400+ retail and skip the the copper HSF. That's a far cry from the $200 system proposed above.

Now I'm not talking a this-is-my-uber-gaming-box-ph33r-me kind of machine here, but a barebones folder. I can get almost 2x 2.0~2.2ghz systems for the same budget of the barton + nforce or P4 system mentioned previously. And I'm talking about modding that Duron up to speed or running the 2400+ at stock, rather than spending even more on PC3200 ram, which cuts costs even more...

In the course of scavenging and hunting for deals, I have pushed the envelope and built a 2ghz AMD layer for the scant figure of $105, though the average for me tends more towards $160 usually- total for the absolute bare essentials OS(runs from CD-rom, easy to use), PSU, CPU, HSF, ram, board, LAN, video, and a cd-rom drive.

I don't consider power costs as they're about the same over time per layer if you're running high-end stuff. I run a good chunk of my farm at home, but most of it is out-sourced. :)

That's correct that the power is about the same, which is why its an advantage to run fewer fast machines than more slower machines.

It slipped my attention for a while until I did the math calculating costs over a year and 2 years.

Now looking "forward" to summer there is an additional cost I haven't factored in which makes me want to redo my whole farm. Heat! Most of that 100 Watts powering each system needs to be compensated by AC. Depending on where you live that can double your "power" cost for each machine. Instead of $6 figure $12. $144 is more than the cost of the "cheap" layer.

When taking that into consideration it's actually cheaper to build 12 3.2Ghz P4s than 20 2Ghz AMDs. Identicle production, fewer machines, lower cost.

I should clean up my XLS file and post it.

Back