Question about running Prime95

Dutt1113

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 30, 2005
Messages
1,623
I have an amd opteron 170 overclocked to 2.7 @ 1.5v and it seems to be running fine. I ran Prime95 for 1 hour with no errors and the cpu temp didn't get above 36 degrees. All I do is game and what not so is 1 hour long enough to run Prime95 for a stable overclock for what I do if there is no errors? The only thing I"m concerned with right now that maybe related to my overclock, not sure though, is my battlefield 2 crashing to the desktop with no errors what so ever. I tried repatching it but haven't played since. No other games mess up so far that I know of like CS source, and FEAR. Another question, when i run prime95, do I want to run small fft's If I just want to test my cpu and not my memory cause my memory isn't overclocked?
 
It's a good idea to run Prime95 for 24hrs or so to ensure there's no issues... many pop up after 4-8 hours of running it.

And yeah, use small fft's if you're just checking the CPU stability.
 
yeah prime95 is a long term process, i had my opty up to 3.05ghz @1.475v prime stable for 2hours, i was stoked, but 4 hours in it failed.
 
Well, I understand not wanting to run 24 hours. 1 hour definitely isn't enough. Subtle things can sneak right under you in that. Heck, I used to have a bug that wouldn't crop up until almost exactly 1 hour and 10 minutes every time (almost being the operative, it would still show up at different times, but, usually in that range.) Think of it as every hour you can run it you are one exponent less uncertain of stability. Hit a number like 24 hours and you're reaching the point to where you just go ahead and consider it stable. It's not 0% ever (random things happen) but, if you get it below 1%, well, I call that stable.

Anyway, at least do overnight. You've GOT to do 2 hours though. 1 hour won't cut it. And games sometimes are funny in that they can just keep chugging along while some minor errors are occuring and you never even notice somehow -- at least, until you get a BSOD and your filesystem is currupted all of a sudden one day. d-: Yeah, it's happened to most of us who didn't test enough since testing is so tedius.
 
Back
Top