• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Question about RAID 1

Ravynmagi

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Messages
1,464
Question. If I setup a pair of drives in RAID 1 on a controller card, then at some point that card fails, would I still be able to plug one of the drives into a regular SATA port and still read the data that is on the drive?
 
With RAID 1 you should be able to access data from a single drive outside of the array as long your OS supports the filesystem used.
 
I would just test and see what happens.

1. Grab a bootable iso for ubuntu.
2. Put that on a cd
3. unplug both drives from your raid.
4. Plug 1 drive from the raid in the motherboard
5. boot ubuntu into livecd mode.
6. See if your drive is mounted and readable.


Edit:
And BTW, I assume you have and use your raid on windows. Although the test would be the same if the raid was on linux.
 
Last edited:
You really need to verify that - some raid controllers mark drives in such a way that it is difficult to use them separately.
 
Using ICHxxR based RAID setups I've never had a problem doing this using any version of Windows.
 
With RAID 1 you should be able to access data from a single drive outside of the array as long your OS supports the filesystem used.

Yep, RAID 1, regardless of the controller type used should be readable with a single disk.

As for Linux, if it is software RAID with RAID 1, you should still be ok.
 
Back
Top