Question about new video card

ReconSniper

[H]ard|Gawd
I currently have a BFG 5950 ultra and have it clocked at 500/1020 I was looking at the specs of the new Asus V9999 and even though the card has so much more technology than mine, such as more piplines and sm 3.0 Why is the clock speeds only 400/1000? That seems a little low. I believe my stock speeds on this card are 450/950. Can someone explain this to me? Am I missing something? 600$ for a slight gain?

GeniusInABottle said:
mhz mean nothing

Are you serious? So why then did the tnt have lower mhz than the geforce, then the geforce 2 had higher mhz than it. Then the gf3 had higher mhz than the 2 then the gf4 had higher mhz than the 3 and now the FX has higher mhz that any other predicesor. So what makes this card so good if it has lower core and memory speeds?

So why does an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ running at a mere 2ghz beat the crap out of an Intel P4 Northwood 2.8ghz?

Architecture.

ReconSniper said:
Are you serious? So why then did the tnt have lower mhz than the geforce, then the geforce 2 had higher mhz than it. Then the gf3 had higher mhz than the 2 then the gf4 had higher mhz than the 3 and now the FX has higher mhz that any other predicesor. So what makes this card so good if it has lower core and memory speeds?

The redesigned architecture is what makes new cores, yes more speed helps, but the GT will smack your card a new one even with the same clock speed. :-P

the Asus V9999 that runs at 400/1000 is actually a vanilla 6800 with 12 pipes. the 6800 Ultra runs at 425/1100.

as it was said before, clockspeed means nothing when comparing chips different architecture.

Back