Question about monitoring a network

xhail

Limp Gawd
I have a small question regarding monitoring of shared file on a LAN. My roommates and I share an internet connection through a Linksys Wireless G router. I also have a computer I have for storage of media files of all kinds. I decided to connect and allow my roommates access to the files on that computer. I was wondering if there is any way of monitoring what goes out of my media storage computer either using WindowsXP or the router itself. I am hoping to stay away from having to get 3rd party software to do this.

If getting 3rd party software is the only way, could someone recommend me something that is easy to use?

Thanks

Not as familiar with this stuff, but first thing that came to mind would be a FTP server. You can create individual accounts and monitor everything. 2 great programs are BulletProof FTP Server and Serv-U FTP.

If you want to do it using Windows Networking it is impossible to do with XP to my knowledge. You would need to use auditing which comes with NT, 2K, or 2K3.

As another member suggested, your best bet is more than likely to either use FTP (which I wouldn't do because of the lag associated w/ IE->FTP) or simply install a small web server (tiny web server for example) and let them browse the files that way.

Both of the above solutions will prove to be far more trouble than they are worth. Tiny does have built in stats, but again.... It's not pretty ;)

Thanks for the info... I kind of figured WinXP wouldn't have anything like that available, but thought I'd ask anyway :)

Thanks!

XP Professional has just as much auditing as 2000 does.

You need to turn off "Simple File Sharing" and you can configure all of the auditing, user permissions, and logging that you want.

UMCPWintermute said:
XP Professional has just as much auditing as 2000 does.

You need to turn off "Simple File Sharing" and you can configure all of the auditing, user permissions, and logging that you want.

Werd. Why do people constantly insist on throwing their 2 cents worth on subjects which they are not familiar? "Oh, you can't do that! XP doesn't allow that!" If you don't know, either say nothing, or say "I don't know" instead of spreading false information...

argh this pet peeve of mine seems to be getting worse, i see it everywhere in all kinds of posts...non-experts giving expert advice...

First off, my apology to the initial poster for the following.

Steel Chicken said:
Werd. Why do people constantly insist on throwing their 2 cents worth on subjects which they are not familiar? "Oh, you can't do that! XP doesn't allow that!" If you don't know, either say nothing, or say "I don't know" instead of spreading false information...

I did, I said to my knowledge.

Steel Checken said:
argh this pet peeve of mine seems to be getting worse, i see it everywhere in all kinds of posts...non-experts giving expert advice...

Steel Chicken said:
Depends on the card, and the OS.
I havenot done MAC Address changes in a while.

So why is it you were posting again?

Steel Chicken said:
Back in the day, Linux did it natively. Just run some obscure command prompt and viola new mac addy.

Linux has never changed your MAC.. A dist you used had a utility bundled with it that allowed you to do so. Linux is a kernel..

Listen man, if you want to be an ass and run your mouth I'll be happy to look through your history and point out what an ass you are.

I specifically said, "to my knowledge". No where did I claim that was 100% fact.

Steel Chicken said:
teach me to read only half the post, i stand corrected!!!

There you go again...

Steel Chicken said:
linux always after windows, but i havnot messed with lindows

until you hear better
1. xp
2. lindows
3 novell linux

Ahhh.. Our resident expert at work. Good to know your quick to pass out advise about an install when you don't even know what loader Lindows uses nor if it even offers the option to configure a multi-boot setup during install.. Since you didn't know odds are you should be quiet, or at least give him somewhat reasonable advise.. Lindows - XP - Suse.. Why? because you can configure the loader when installing suse for sure.

Pot calling the kettle black... Can it.

I spent almost 5 minutes working on a point by point rebuttal to your obvious flame and bizzare application of logic. i then decided I was not going to take the bait and start a flame war. if you want to continue this in PM's feel free

I will say one simple point however,
what you did = "i know absolutely NOTHING about this topic, so i will say it is IMPOSSIBLE, and make myself feel better by saying 'to the best of my knowledge' which BTW is still ZERO"

what I do = "I don't have complete info on this, but here is what I have, with appropriate caveats" (i know lindows is based on linux, but is not linux, etc)

Oh, and BTW you were wrong about the MAC adddress thing as well, the command as someone else mentioned was ifconfig, which is part of the TCP/IP functionality native to linux. It is not some add-on utility or bundled software as you suggested, so you were wrong again

you seem to think that offering opinions with zero knowledge with caveats is the same as offering partial knowledge with caveats. you are in serious error.

Steel Chicken said:
I spent almost 5 minutes working on a point by point rebuttal to your obvious flame and bizzare application of logic. i then decided I was not going to take the bait and start a flame war. if you want to continue this in PM's feel free

I will say one simple point however,
what you did = "i know absolutely NOTHING about this topic, so i will say it is IMPOSSIBLE, and make myself feel better by saying 'to the best of my knowledge' which BTW is still ZERO"

what I do = "I don't have complete info on this, but here is what I have, with appropriate caveats" (i know lindows is based on linux, but is not linux, etc)

Oh, and BTW you were wrong about the MAC adddress thing as well, the command as someone else mentioned was ifconfig, which is part of the TCP/IP functionality native to linux. It is not some add-on utility or bundled software as you suggested, so you were wrong again

you seem to think that offering opinions with zero knowledge with caveats is the same as offering partial knowledge with caveats. you are in serious error.

ifconfig IS an added utitlity, its part of the net-tools packge, Linux is only the kernel. Also, Lindows uses the Linux kernel, and is another distro just like all the others.

UMCPWintermute said:
What does this argument about Linux/Lindows have to do with the original post?

Absolutely nothing, it's my fault the topic went a stray for biting at his thread crapping. My apologies.

Actually it is possible in 2000 AND XP..

UMCPWintermute is partially correct. You can do it at the share level, but it's much more accurate to do at the file level.

Start > Run > secpol.msc
Under Local Policies, and then Audit Policies, you can log failures and or succusfull attempts to access a file, logon to the pc, just about anything..

Those log entries will appear in the event viewer.

Start > Run > compmgmt.msc
Under Event Viewer and then Security.

Or you could share the files with an FTP or webserver and log accesses that way.

-scoob8000

Back