Question about microsoft genuine program

mrtheshaggy

[H]ard|Gawd
I have two questions about the genuine program windows has with automatic updates now.

I have a dell xp home cd for my inspiron, a xp pro cd for my backup computer, and a xp home oem cd for my main computer. I've always just used my xp home oem cd on all three computers because I didn't want to mess with the xp home cd with "dell" written all over it and I didn't need the extra features xp pro has.

So my questions are does this new program prevent me from getting updates if I have the "same" xp installation on multiple computers?

My second question is an "if so" question. Can I somehow use my dell xp home key on the bottom of my lap top with my xp home oem cd?

it's likely that if you're using the same key on all 3 computers that it will prevent you from downloading your needed updates. my guess is you dell XP Home key will work with your OEM XP home CD (though I wouldn't be too surprised to be proven wrong on this) as for your XP Pro key it will not work with XP Home and raises questions about the legality of your setup. I'd try using your dell key with the OEM install and just install XP Pro on the 3rd computer.

Peace

Perrupa said:
it's likely that if you're using the same key on all 3 computers that it will prevent you from downloading your needed updates. my guess is you dell XP Home key will work with your OEM XP home CD (though I wouldn't be too surprised to be proven wrong on this) as for your XP Pro key it will not work with XP Home and raises questions about the legality of your setup. I'd try using your dell key with the OEM install and just install XP Pro on the 3rd computer.

Peace

Answer I was afraid of. Thanks!

Back