Question about ebay and Windows 7

Krogan

n00b
I have seen some people selling Win7 Keys. They say and claim it's from MS. A person I know works for some computer company or he works in the IT department at his company said that he's able to get 10 keys from MS.

So I'm wondering if anyone has purchased these keys? I think they're running at $9.99-$10.99 per key.

You can get legitimate keys/software from eBay, but it is still buyer beware. Some is legit, some is not. That's a gamble you have to take.

It sounds like those are from Technet/MSDN accounts. When you signup for a technet account you are given 10 evaluation license keys.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/default.aspx
These are for IT professional to evaluate software in as close to a production environment as possible. Functionally, they should act like full valid licenses, and many say they never expire even if the Technet account does, but you'd be 100% on your own here. An individual using these for a live environment does not comply with the terms agreed upon in the license, so technically not valid.

A person I know works for some computer company or he works in the IT department at his company said that he's able to get 10 keys from MS.
I am guessing you've never heard of TechNet. Yes, it is true, you can get many keys to use from Microsoft. However, if this person you know is planning to sell or give out those keys...that person would be a moron.

Nope never heard of TechNet I'm not a IT person just a casual gamer. As for my bud why would he be a moron lol? He's not selling,plus I wouldn't ask since I'm not sure if he would get in trouble for selling/giving away keys, I don't throw my buds under the bus etc. or beg if it's something I can get on my own. I was just curious about the keys being sold on ebay.

Nope never heard of TechNet I'm not a IT person just a casual gamer. As for my bud why would he be a moron lol? He's not selling,plus I wouldn't ask since I'm not sure if he would get in trouble for selling/giving away keys, I don't throw my buds under the bus etc. or beg if it's something I can get on my own. I was just curious about the keys being sold on ebay.

Once you have a TechNet key, sure you can use it.

But, the problem arises when Microsoft sees that key out
in the wild, and they will. They could invalidate those keys,
or make it very difficult, for new users to get them.

In the long run this hurts us all.

Once you have a TechNet key, sure you can use it.

But, the problem arises when Microsoft sees that key out
in the wild, and they will. They could invalidate those keys,
or make it very difficult, for new users to get them.

In the long run this hurts us all.

Its going to be very, very hard for MS to find such instances though. Not like they are going to audit every single technet account to trace where all the keys have gone.

So I'm wondering if anyone has purchased these keys? I think they're running at $9.99-$10.99 per key.

Too good to be true. Software can be cheaper on ebay, but not that cheap. There is something wrong with the keys. I'd be afraid to run them for fear that MS could blacklist them and one day after patching, your PC just stops working properly until you fork out the full amount for a new license.

If you want a cheap copy, and don't qualify for the $30 educational copy, check out the hot deals forum. There was a copy of Win7 Home Premium for $90 from newegg.

As for my bud why would he be a moron lol? He's not selling,plus I wouldn't ask since I'm not sure if he would get in trouble for selling/giving away keys
That's why he would be a moron, if he sold or gave away those keys that were actually property of his employer.

only purchase the key if it comes with a CoA sticker (Certificate of Authenticity).

if no CoA is, or will be, provided, then chances are it is not a key meant for re-sale.

Its going to be very, very hard for MS to find such instances though. Not like they are going to audit every single technet account to trace where all the keys have gone.

it is easy, they check the location / country the key is validated from and block it vs the technet account, nothing is hard for them, remeber, they have back end rooms full of servers doing this sort of thing, not like a person sits down and checks e ach key.

my friend has a technet, he let me use one of his keys for a home installation of win 7, a week later the keys he had were revoked, he is in canada, i am in costa rica.

They dont need to audit anything, your key is sent to them as soon as
its registered, and they KNOW who it belongs too.

my friend has a technet, he let me use one of his keys for a home installation of win 7, a week later the keys he had were revoked, he is in canada, i am in costa rica.

I have given out many keys in the US with no problems. I think if you stay in the same country/area you will be fine.

I have seen these too on Ebay, but something that cheap, from Microsoft is too good to be true in moist cases. Technet and MSDN are nice alternatives, but not everyone has that privledge:p

Back