Question About Change Raid Setting In BIOS

Badgercat

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
124
Hi,

I have two 1TB HDD's that I wanted to put into RAID 1. It was my first time doing a RAID so the first thing I did was try and go about it via the BIOS.

I have a ASUS P7P55D LE Motherboard. Under the storage configuration menu in the BIOS you have three options:

- Configure SATA as IDE (Which is the default, and what I was using)
- Configure SATA as AHCI
- Configure SATA as RAID

Once I selected the third option I was given access to the Intel Matrix Storage Technology configuration. I selected the two drives I wanted and made a RAID 1 setup with my two 1TB HDD's.

How on start up, I got to the loading screen for windows 7, and BOOM, I got a BSOD (blue screen of death), then the computer restarts. Repair had no effect. Out of curiosity I selected the option to configure SATA as AHCI, to give that a try. Same thing happened. Basically anything that is not Configure SATA as IDE gave me a BSOD.

Anyone know why this is? My windows drive is not part of the RAID, and was not set as such. Is it because when I installed Windows the BIOS was set to configure SATA as IDE? Maybe it does not like me changing things now.

In the end I went into the disk manager and created a mirrored volume of the two drives, which was quite easy and painless...so problem solved. But I work as a computer technician and in the future I would like to know what was causing this.

Any thoughts?
 
Back
Top