[QQ] Intel Tick-Tock Strategy

Depends on what you're running and what you need. Also need to consider reselling, both in terms of you being able to resell old hardware, and you being able to buy old hardware.

It seems like the tick stuff resales for a higher price, because there are more people still on that platform looking for an upgrade. For instance, a 'tick' Q9650 sells for almost as much as the 'tock' i7-920, despite the fact that the i7 significantly outperforms it. It's because there are still people with high end 775 boards and DDR2 setups, and they want the most out of them.

It also depends a lot on the pricing. For instance, when Nehalem 'tock' came out, it was super expensive because of the high-end motherboards, and new DDR3 RAM. When Sandy Bridge 'tock' came out, it was almost the same socket, and used the same DDR3 as the older stuff, so the price difference between Nehalem and Sandy Bridge was almost negligible.

Imo, tock if you're upgrading once every 3-4 years, and tick if you're upgrading yearly.

Depends on the situation. This can't just be generalized to such a degree.

Nehalem launched at the enthusiast level, Sandy Bridge launched mainstream. Comparison of their launch pricing isn't really valid.

It depends on your budget, how old your current rig is, and how soon you need it.

For me my Nehalem setup has been awesome and has had great staying power and thus value.

I don't see myself going with SB-E either due to its timing. Depending on how Ivy Bridge launches I may upgrade then. If IB launches mainstream only I may hold out for Haswell, and if I do and they launch it at the enthusiast level then its on hard core!

I buy what I want because I want it and that's what I want to do when I want too.

So bulldozer---- its been gotten just havent gotten it yet.

Sandy Bridge both K series got it.

Gonna get 2011 Xeons when they come out so thats gonna be a gotten!

so I will have a lot for sale all the time but I use Craigslist. I hate the bumping and MASSIVE by the min new for sale threads on this site.

I just got into pc gaming about five years ago and for me I realize tock is better for me since I want to build a system and have it last as long as possible for gaming.

When I built my current pc in my sig (except for the gpu of course) I thought tick was better since it was the best of that cpu generation so to speak. Then I realized that when the i7 9xx chips came out my system suddenly felt almost obsolete to me, I know it's not but still. I wish I had gone with the tock (i7 920 at the time) since it would have lasted me a lot longer than the tick option (my q9550).

Like I and others have said, it depends on how often you upgrade. If you upgrade every two years then tick is probably better, but if you want your system to last 4-5 years as your main system then I think tock is better.

Back