• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q9650 vs 2500k

glen

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 30, 2007
Messages
230
Acording to Sysmark Productivity I would see a 40% increase by upgrading to a 2600k over my Q9550.

Now the question is that I have been running my Q9550 at 3.6ghz for 3 years. So My best guess is that at 2600k stock speeds I wouldn't see more than 10% increase in overall performance?

Now if I over clock the 2600k to 4.5ghz I'm guessing the difference goes back to around 30%.

Does this warrant an upgrade? I know it depends on what I use my computer for, but I am used to upgrading and seeing atleast a 50% improvement usually a 100%, especially when waiting 3.5 years.
 
The core i5-2500k even at stock would be a substantial upgrade, because it has a different architecture it is MUCH faster clock for clock, by at 30% in just that. And if you are overclocking it to 4.5ghz, it will miles faster than your old cpu.
 
Overall performance in what?

what do you use that is causing you some lag or delay and making things slow............

why are you used to upgrading?

Right now based on your post, it sounds like you upgrade for no real reason but to brag.,,,,

Why do you think you need to upgrade?
 
Acording to Sysmark Productivity I would see a 40% increase by upgrading to a 2600k over my Q9550.

Now the question is that I have been running my Q9550 at 3.6ghz for 3 years. So My best guess is that at 2600k stock speeds I wouldn't see more than 10% increase in overall performance?

Now if I over clock the 2600k to 4.5ghz I'm guessing the difference goes back to around 30%.

Does this warrant an upgrade? I know it depends on what I use my computer for, but I am used to upgrading and seeing atleast a 50% improvement usually a 100%, especially when waiting 3.5 years.

Q9650 (QX9650) @ 4 ghz gives me 11.7m superpi 1M.
SB @ 4 ghz gives me 9.4 sec superpi 1M.

Vietcong (intro 1st level) sees a 30% fps improvement.
Morrowind sees a FPS improvement of about 30%. So yeah it's a very substantial improvement over a c2q at the same mhz.
 
Overall performance in what?

what do you use that is causing you some lag or delay and making things slow............

why are you used to upgrading?

Right now based on your post, it sounds like you upgrade for no real reason but to brag.,,,,

Why do you think you need to upgrade?



Well my kid has a Pentium D computer and it is very slow, going on 7? years old and probably on the verge of going to Asus motherboard heaven.

So I would give her my Q9550 system and of course I would get the new build. If her computer dies and she has to go without fb for a week that would be ugly, so I have to be proactive on this.

For my use where I could see more CPU power helping would be in audio encoding, sha checks, win-rar. But its not really a big deal. So you are right in that a SB would be more than adequate. But I like to buy when a technology is good for at least 2 years, who knows what we will have by then? I would love to get back into gaming but not with 300W video cards.

I guess even with the measly 30% increase in 3 years the SB still makes sense because I need a computer, and it doesn't look like waiting for IB would give a meaningful performance increase for my use.
 
Last edited:
Well, I think I read somewhere Ivy Bridge will be 20%-40% faster than SB clock for clock... I'm like you and like to see the BIG increase for the $$ (went from Opteron 165 to 45nm C2Q). IB should be out in quantity this time next year, or maybe even late 2011.

...but at any rate it's up to you.
 
Q9650 (QX9650) @ 4 ghz gives me 11.7m superpi 1M.
SB @ 4 ghz gives me 9.4 sec superpi 1M.

Vietcong (intro 1st level) sees a 30% fps improvement.
Morrowind sees a FPS improvement of about 30%. So yeah it's a very substantial improvement over a c2q at the same mhz.

"achievement unlocked - [Benchmark new tech with 8 year old games]" :D
 
I think since your kid needs a computer, this upgrade makes good sense. I think you'd have to wait another year to get 50% @ stock across the board...and SB cpus are highly overclockable ( you can probably approach that now with the right overclock). Can you count on that in the future?
 
Well TBH, its does indeed depend on what you need and use your PC for. I upgraded from a Q9450 and it is a substantial difference across the board, I did not upgrade when the 1st i7 platforms came out because the performance did not match the price of the upgrade then....but TBH the price of a SB platform is alot cheaper then the old i7 platforms and the mobos are very good price aswell (p67 issues aside) not to mention the drop in price of DDR3.....then when you factor in selling your old rig (In my case not yours) it is/was a super upgrade.

IMHO it is well worth the upgrade....but get the 2500K if you game as the 2600K will not make much difference at all in games.....if you encode and mutlitask heavily then the extra virtual cores and HT will help you for the extra 100 bucks or so.
 
Does this warrant an upgrade? I know it depends on what I use my computer for, but I am used to upgrading and seeing atleast a 50% improvement usually a 100%, especially when waiting 3.5 years.

I did this upgrade recently. This is my opinion. It is nowhere near 100% and it is not 50%. 30% seems to be pretty fair to say most of the time, stock vs stock or oc vs oc.

You can wait if you want. What are you waiting for?

Faster clock speeds?
I doubt it. 4 to 5 Ghz is going to be it for a while and if Q3 or Q4 changes that I'll be surprised. It's about more cores now.

More cores?
I could have 10 more cores and it wouldn't help right now for gaming and desktop use. Games won't catch up for a few years.

More PCI-E lanes?
8x / 8x is enough for this generation of cards, if not 100% optimal, and likely for the next generation too.

PCI-E 3.0?
If 8x is enough, I don't see how this will help. I bet cards will be backwards compatible. If not, likely I can get a MB with PCI-E 3.0 for 1155.

DDR4?
Not likely until late 2012 ~ early 2013.

Better per-core performance?
Maybe. If you're on socket 1155 I don't think you'll be compelled to move to socket 2011 for gaming and desktop use, especially if you sat it out this long.
When we get 22nm Ivy Bridge you might, but that's anyone's best guess. It's rumored that Ivy bridge will have socket 1155 CPU's.

Bulldozer?
Don't make me laugh. Even if it's faster it won't be fast enough. See the comment about cores.

To me, it came down to this. The 2600K is a great chip, right now. Quad core, 95W, runs cool, 4~5 Ghz OC.
Z68 is coming with SSD caching and will let you use that graphics chip while you OC. I bet these motherboards will be nice.
At the end of the 2600K's life, take out your video card and you have a fast low power box good for almost anything.

I say pull the trigger when you can, if you want to wait on something wait for a good Z68 board. If you really must wait for Q3/Q4, then wait.
I doubt it will matter enough that you would wish you had stayed on your 775 box for another six months.
 
Exdriver, thanks for the thoughtful reply.

Do you or anyone else have info on what this SSD caching is about? I've tried searching with google but nothing seems related to the Z68. Since I have an SSD now if becomes a must have I want to wait for the Z68 boards rather than the P67.
 
It would be a sweet upgrade but IMO you are better off in waiting for socket LGA 2011 hardware to hit.
 
Hmm... get you something like this

Adaptec 2267700-R maxCache 32GB SSD Cache Performance Kit

... lol.

I'm assuming an onboard solution will be a lot cheaper.

They aren't talking much yet but you can find things like this popping up all over the place.

There is a third member of the 6-series family that will begin shipping in Q2: Z68. Take P67, add processor graphics support and you’ve got Z68. It’s as simple as that. Z68 is also slated to support something called SSD Caching, which Intel hasn’t said anything to us about yet. With version 10.5 of Intel’s Rapid Storage Technology drivers, Z68 will support SSD caching. This sounds like the holy grail of SSD/HDD setups, where you have a single drive letter and the driver manages what goes on your SSD vs. HDD. Whether SSD Caching is indeed a DIY hybrid hard drive technology remains to be seen. It’s also unclear whether or not P67/H67 will get SSD Caching once 10.5 ships.

Source

Sounds like they could have done more homework. ;)

More than welcome. Hope the links don't bother anyone.
 
Back
Top