• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q9550; Wait or pull the trigger?

kompulsive

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 11, 2008
Messages
355
I am going to have to wait until the first part of December to purchase the majority of the components for my new machine, but I am thinking about ordering the Q9500 now because I really want to try to get the E0 stepping and I am afraid that if I wait until December this chip may stop shipping. Should I pull the trigger now or should I wait until December and order everything at once? If I wait until December do I risk missing out on this chip or will I simply be getting a better price? Any help will be appreciated, I think my head is about to explode.
 
Just wait. Newegg et al won't run out of Q9550's in the next four weeks. There's still plenty of Q6600's and those I assure you will disappear first. Its better to get all your stuff at once anyway and try to get some combo deals
 
To wait is better. If anything at all, you will actually have a better chance of getting an E0 since the earlier revisions will be phased out (being shipped out to current buyers).
 
when you see a deal, pull the trigger

and not just any deal..."the" deal
 
So what would be "the" deal? I'm in a similar situation as the OP.

say it's going for 319 right now...250(20% off) or less would be a deal, now those don't come often either. Look for combos like mad! :p It's probablly never going to go that low without a combo.

Whatever, i'm in the same boat as you two ... :D
 
I was in the same boat, bit the bullet and lost the newegg E0 lottery. The chip still runs fine, but if you are going to have to wait until December for a majority of parts... I would wait... with the economy(and exchange rates) prices should trend downwards. I also can not imagine supply drying up anytime soon.

I would only pick up parts which are well below there normal average. Newegg has a reasonable deal on a heatsink. The S1283 for 22 after rebate. That might be worthy of picking up a little early. Some of the case powersupply combinations are tempting but I have a feeling they might dip even lower.

In the end I think patience is the right course.
 
I was in the same boat, bit the bullet and lost the newegg E0 lottery. The chip still runs fine, but if you are going to have to wait until December for a majority of part... I would wait... with the economy(and exchange rates) prices should trend downwards. I also can not imagine supply drying up anytime soon.

I would only pick up parts which are well below there normal average. Newegg has a reasonable deal on a heatsink. The S1283 for 22 after rebate. That might be worthy of picking up a little early. Some of the case powersupply combinations are tempting but I have a feeling they might dip even lower.

In the end I think patience is the right course.

Sorry you didn't get an E0 but point proven. BTW, what are you getting out of that C1?
 
Sorry you didn't get an E0 but point proven. BTW, what are you getting out of that C1?

It seems like a reasonable chip, I have stress tested it up to 3.8 Ghz. I have not really tried to push it much past that point.
 
It seems like a reasonable chip, I have stress tested it up to 3.8 Ghz. I have not really tried to push it much past that point.

Decent. 3.8Ghz seems to be high average for a C1. 4Ghz and you can pat yourself on the back
 
Back
Top