q9450 prices

bobstone

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 3, 2005
Messages
361
why are they so high still? ebay has them starting at around 150 for buy it now's ?
 
Supply and demand. They have not been produced for several years.

Not just S&D. Intel retail sellers do not price drop older SKUs once newer socket [product become available, much if at all. When the supply was up, the price was (much) higher.
 
Intel switch sockets so often, that suppliers can easily sell old stock for a high price. 150 is cheaper than a new motherboard and CPU, so people will pay.

Edit: I happen to have a q9450 I'm not using, we can work something out, if you need one.
 
don't need one thanks anyways, I also have one that is not in much use, was more asking price compared to other c2q of the era, seems it has held a higher demand then the other chips that it competed with.
 
My take on this.

Intel hasn't really lowered prices of any quad core model since C2Q was introduced.

New models cost the same as the ones they replace and offer slightly higher performance.
This means even the old C2Q processors never really sold at less than $200 from retail.
Even when all Core based models went EOL, retail still charged $200 for a C2Q. The used price will be compared to retail, making used Intel quad cores rather expensive compared to their performance value.

Looking at the other side of the pond, AMD regularly cuts prices on all their models, as a result a CPU worth $300 at launch will go for $100 when it is close to being EOL. This creates a bit of used and new competition, giving an used quad core AMD CPU a lower used price than the equivalent Intel counterparts.

All in all, lucky you if you own a Intel quad and want to sell, unlucky you if you want to buy one.
 
Look for the xeon eqiuvalents.

I recently picked up a xeon X3330 for $80 shipped from Ebay. I don't think there is a huge difference between the Q9450 (12M cache) and the xeon X3330 (6M cache) (http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/51?vs=76)

People always search for the Qxxx instead of the xeons which is why I think the Xeons go cheaper in many cases.

Exception is the xeon 771's are DIRT cheap. I've seen 8 core 3.0ghz full servers for $300'ish at geeks.com
 
That processor was end of life'd about 4 years ago.

Intel has no control over its pricing anymore. Hoarders, or people stuck with excess stock, are getting what the market will bear. Apparently a buck fiddy is what the market still bears.
 
If I could unload my old C2Q's for $150 a pop I would too lol. Its simply what people are willing, or not willing to pay.
 
The crazy thing is I believe I would get more for my Q9550 than my i7 920 but the Q9550 is in the htpc with the i7 920 sitting idle now.
 
I also have a q9550 that I've been on the fence about selling. I'd love to keep it, but for $150 I might have to send it to a new home. Seems these core2quads still have a decent market.
 
I love how cpu's keep price dont mind spending 140 on the 2500k because im sure it will be worth close to that for the next 4 years.. (just grabbed a q6600 for 63 if you want it)
 
That processor was end of life'd about 4 years ago.

Intel has no control over its pricing anymore. Hoarders, or people stuck with excess stock, are getting what the market will bear. Apparently a buck fiddy is what the market still bears.

+1 once a processor is EOL there really isnt anything that we do on the pricing. I wish I could sell my old processors for 3/4 or more of the price that I have had in the past.
 
I also have a q9550 that I've been on the fence about selling. I'd love to keep it, but for $150 I might have to send it to a new home. Seems these core2quads still have a decent market.

Sell it! Once Haswell is out, all those people willing to pay a small premium for a 9550 will have a lot of used 1155 boards and 2500k's to choose from instead.
 
Back
Top