Q8300, temperature over 100celcius

kopekci

n00b
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
56
Hey guys,

My friend is tech retarded and called me yesterday. Told me his cpu is getting hot so much. I removed cpu fan. Cleaned it thoroughly. And fixed it back to the CPU. But his CPU still gets too hot. What's the problem you think? I can't get any info about history of his system :(
 
Did you verify that the fan is spinning? Did you reapply thermal compound if you removed the heatsink? Is the heatsink attached well?

I ask all these questions because some one had the same problem and the HS loose making poor contact with the CPU and there was no thermal compound at all..
 
Did you verify that the fan is spinning? Did you reapply thermal compound if you removed the heatsink?

I ask all these questions because some one had the same problem and the HS loose making poor contact with the CPU and there was no thermal compound at all..


Fan is obviously spinning and I reapplied thermal paste.
Is the heatsink attached well? Yes I think it is attached well. Even before I removed it, it was attached well. I am starting to think CPU is giving wrong values about temperature :confused:
 
Touch the heatsink with your hands or finger(s) when its at high temperature. If it really is 100*C+, it will be the hottest heatsink you've ever touched and you will remember it. Be sure to have some cold water nearby. ;\ I know this from experience.
 
Fan is obviously spinning and I reapplied thermal paste.
Is the heatsink attached well? Yes I think it is attached well. Even before I removed it, it was attached well. I am starting to think CPU is giving wrong values about temperature :confused:

Is your friend using a stock cooler with the push pins? One of the pins isnt seated.
 
Is the air around the heatsink warm? If it isn't, then the heat isn't being transferred into the heatsink, and you would have found your problem.
 
I had a similar incident with a machine I built for work that was shipped overseas and back. It had screws that held the heat sink onto the processor which were all several turns loose. Re-tightening these had a significant processor heat reduction.

Maybe spend $20 or $30 and get a tower style cooler upgrade.
 
Umm is the back of the socket hot to the touch? Can you use a infrared non contact thermo to find the temp?
 
Someone rebadged a Cyrix

Ha ha... oh... wait... you're not funny...

I'd say the socket diode is fucked. The core sensors aren't getting nearly as high as the socket sensor. I'd be more inclined to listen to the core sensors then the mobo sensor.
 
Watch it 9 month noob - the Cyrix overlords will come for you in your sleep!
 
Back
Top