Q6600

valis1

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 11, 2010
Messages
183
I've not upgraded my PC for a while, looking to upgrade. Would it be worthwhile to upgrade or hold out for a few more months for any advances in tech?

My PC only works with CAD // ARC programs and movie watching; not a gamer.

What are you suggestions?
 
Hmm, if you are near a MicroCenter, I'd consider the cpu/mobo deals.
 
I've not upgraded my PC for a while, looking to upgrade. Would it be worthwhile to upgrade or hold out for a few more months for any advances in tech?

My PC only works with CAD // ARC programs and movie watching; not a gamer.

What are you suggestions?

Socket 2011 comes out in Q4 2011 which is September-December. Socket 2011 is set to replace Socket 1366.
 
If your current rig is getting the job done, I say wait til Bulldozer comes out and maybe even the Intel 2011 stuff. Even if theyre not that big a step up over current lines, they may at least shake up the pricing some.

If youre rig isnt getting the job done, put yourself a nice Sandy Bridge build together. Those processors are simply bad ass and even when (if) Bulldozer comes out, I seriously doubt itll upstage Intel. Most assumptions are right now that theyll actually be a little behind Sandy Bridge.

So bottom line if your rig is ok now, wait. If its struggling now, Sandy Bridge is calling.
 
Q6600 is still a beast. As others have said, unless it's not doing what you need anymore (which is unlikely if you're focused primarily on CAD) just wait for LGA 2011.

(Am I biased? Yes.)
 
I wouldn't say a BEAST but it's competent enough if you can pull like 3.6+ out of it.
 
Still rocking the Q6600 here as well OP. I will be waiting till next year for new Intel stuff as others have suggested.
 
Yeah... as you can see on my signature, my PC still on Q6600. The i5-750 is my wife and my daughter's PC. I'm wating for Ivy Bridge anyway. :)
 
I went from Q6600@3.2 to a 2500k@4.5

It's night and day, in my mind. My wife still gets lots of play time on the Q6600, but I'm very happy that I upgraded.
 
Back
Top