Q6600 Power - P8 or P4?

tscompusa

Weaksauce
Well I pre-ordered my Q6600 G0 Stepping. My current PSU Doesnt have a 8 pin cpu connector, only 4 Pin. I dont really feel I need to get rid of my current powersupply because I do not game or use SLI. I really do not consume that much power.

After researching with a friend of mine, we determined it would not be safe to use a 4 pin to 8 pin adaptor. Instead we found something that would work much safer, Since its getting 2 12V sources from its own rails.

I need to know for sure if this will be safe to run until I can get a 8PIN PSU.

The way this connector works is that it uses 2 seperate 12V molex connectors, to power each 4pin. The 4 pin connector is just 2 ground and the other 2 pins are 12V source.

So using this adaptor here should work fine for right?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812887002

At least better than using a adapter that converts P4 directly to P8, without using the 12v molexs? Like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812201005

Also keep in mind the motherboard does not REQUIRE the 8pin, but the chip MIGHT, considering theres 2 more additional cores.

jtom/tscompusa

Eh. The 4 pin should be fine, assuming the rest of the system doesn't overload your PSU.
Do you know if the P4 line has its own rail, or does it take from somewhere else that can provide more than just the normal 12V that the line is made for? because it looks like the cable does double of what the line is normally supposed to do?:confused:

Do you know if the P4 line has its own rail, or does it take from somewhere else that can provide more than just the normal 12V that the line is made for? because it looks like the cable does double of what the line is normally supposed to do?:confused:

The point is that it's enough. No processor needs two rails. In fact, no processor should need its /own/ rail. Assuming power is stable and sufficient, it doesn't matter if it's carried via 2 wires or 80, as long as they're sufficiently thick.

Not sure of specifics, honestly -- you'll have to hope JonnyGURU or one of the [H] staff shows up for that, probably -- but I'm certain it will work, and that there's no harm in the 4 to 8 pin adapter, either. It shouldn't even be necessary.

The point is that it's enough. No processor needs two rails. In fact, no processor should need its /own/ rail. Assuming power is stable and sufficient, it doesn't matter if it's carried via 2 wires or 80, as long as they're sufficiently thick.

Not sure of specifics, honestly -- you'll have to hope JonnyGURU or one of the [H] staff shows up for that, probably -- but I'm certain it will work, and that there's no harm in the 4 to 8 pin adapter, either. It shouldn't even be necessary.

I see you hit the Nail on the head! Thanks for answering so quick, i think i will be purchasing the single cable and just keep a eye out for excessive heat and other cautions, thanks again! :) :cool:

Back