Q6600 build -- advice please

jmphx

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 11, 2006
Messages
256
OK, I am no longer waiting for 45nm quads. I'm going q6600. Can't wait anymore. The goal is a 3.6ghz OC.. higher would be nice, but 3.6ghz will do....

Here's what I'm thinking of for the new build:

- Case: Thermaltake Armor w/ 25cm side-window-fan -- (already have this, picked it up on black friday for cheap)

- CPU: q6600 G0

- Mobo: Asus Maximus Formula -- I'm thinking X38 here because they seem to have the least problems with vDroop, especially the Maximus. It should also give me a good platform to upgrade to 45nm soon (not that P35 wouldn't, I know).

I looked at the P5K too, but it seems the vDroop eliminating function only works (and even then, reports vary) in the Premium and Deluxe boards which are only about $40-50 cheaper than the X38 Maximus

- Cooling: Enzotech Ultra-X -- While I do have an existing watercooling system, I'm pretty much done with it. I don't have the time or patience anymore =) With that said, I need a good air cooler. I looked at the Thermalright Ultra-120 X, of course, but it seems it's too tall to fit into the Thermaltake Armor case with the 25cm fan in place. I also looked at the Xigmatek heat-pipe-direct-touch things, which sound very interesting. But the 120mm version will also probably be too tall (159mm, while ultra-120 is 160mm)..

From reviews and cooling analysis on frostytech.com, it seems that the Enzotech Ultra-X is a decent low profile cooler that performs well.

Most interested on thoughts here... anyone? I may also stick with watercooling and get the D-Tek Fuzion, but at this point, I'm ready to be done with WC.

- RAM: 4GB (4x1GB) Crucial Ballistix ddr2 800 -- This RAM seems to get great reviews and can be had fairly cheaply. Will it be enough to support a good 3.6ghz (or higher) OC, in a 4 stick configuration?

thanks guys
 
Maximus Extreme is the DDR3 board, you would need to get the Maximus Formula for DDR2 support.

If you're looking for 4GB, then I'd recommend a 2x2GB kit. 4x1GB can be a pain to work with sometimes.


I run 8GB worth of these Patriots currently $89.99 + ship: http://shop4.outpost.com/product/5200607

Here is a little lower latency kit, but I don't have personal experience with them $99.99 + ship:
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/5447899
 
You're correct, I meant the Maximus Formula, not extreme.

Thanks for the pointer on the RAM. I have never used Patriot RAM... how has your experience been with them?
 
My experience with Patriot has been overall positive. I've used them on my Maximus Formula and on a P5N32-E SLI Plus, with 8GB worth of this RAM. I couldn't even run 4x1GB of Geil on that P5N board. The Patriot runs as rated, lifetime warranty, etc. Because of the memory divider I don't have to worry too much about how high I can clock the RAM. Plus its been a bargain and rebateless from Fry's for the past month (the reason why I even have 8GB heh). So I've been 8GB stable on two different boards, I'd say its great stuff at this point :)
 
Back
Top