Pulling video via Firewire (recommended app?)

dep01

Limp Gawd
Hello. I just got a Mini-DV Sony TVR17 (which kicks major ass, btw). I am interested in using firewire to download the video from my camera to my PC. I've heard of 'Video Director' and 'Pinnacle' or something to that effect, but heard Video Director was buggy.

Any recommended software on pulling down the video from my camera and adding effects?

Thanks,
dep

Almost every DV camcorder comes with some basic application to grab the video via firewire. Also, all the DV editor progs can do it (Pinnacle, Ulead, Premiere).

I would focus more on which video editing program you want to use. You already mentioned Pinnacle which is a good, basic prog. Another good choice is the recently released Adobe Premiere Elements or Ulead Video Studio. You can get Premiere Elements bundled with Photoshop Elements which is a nice way to start.

Then, if you get really into video editing, you can upgrade to the big boys, such as Adobe Premiere or Ulead Media Studio. Of course, then you are talking $500+.

Don't know about Ulead, but Adobe has some great student discounts. You can get Premiere for under $200.

I've used Pinnacle, Premiere and some others. Pinnacle was a great way to start before moving up to Premiere.

Premiere Elements looks very interesting to me. I have not used it, but if it provides as much functionality out of the full Premeire as Photoshop Elements provides out of the full Photoshop package, it is a hell of a deal.

Back