• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

PSU Temp. Chart

beardawnwood

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 11, 2008
Messages
314
I'm in the market for a new PSU and my only real requirements are quality build, customer service and coolest possible temperature wise. I assumed all along I would just buy an 80 plus platinum as more efficient equals less waste heat produced. But after reading the great psu essay I realize I can't rely on a rating.

I'm having trouble finding an up to date psu chart for exhaust temp. or heat produced. My computer is in a very small room in south florida so the room gets uncomfortably warm quickly.

What is the exhaust temp. difference between gold and platinum? Enough to make a noticeable difference?

I was looking at one of the 500-600w enermax platinum psus. Good idea as far as temps go? Is there something better?

Any psu suggestions or a chart would be greatly appreciated.
 
Last edited:
I'm in the market for a new PSU and my only real requirements are quality build, customer service and coolest possible temperature wise.

Seasonic!

I assumed all along I would just buy an 80 plus platinum as more efficient equals less waste heat produced. But after reading the great psu essay I realize I can't rely on a rating.

Rating doesn't matter as much as build quality. Seasonic X-Series Fanless is still king of the hill, even with the fanless Superflow Platinum stuff, because it doesn't use 5kg of heatsinks.

I'm having trouble finding an up to date psu chart for exhaust temp. or heat produced. My computer is in a very small room in south florida so the room gets uncomfortably warm quickly.

Heat producted = (1 - efficiency) * total DC power draw. So if it's 90% at 400W, that's 40W.

What is the exhaust temp. difference between gold and platinum? Enough to make a noticeable difference?

A few watts, so maybe 1-2C tops in high wattage models.

I was looking at one of the 500-600w enermax platinum psus. Good idea as far as temps go? Is there something better?

I'd recommend Seasonic because: 1) Better support; 2) Better platform; 3) Better reliability. Also: http://hardocp.com/article/2011/10/04/80_plus_irrelevant_to_you_when_buying_psu/

(so hardly a difference between Gold and Platinum)
 
Back
Top