PSU related problem?

qtwre

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 8, 2001
Messages
259
Hi guys, so I've just recently wised up to the Amperage game. Here I thought it was all in the watts. I looked at the label on my 'Safe Power' 450W psu and it looks like i've got 18A on the 12V rail which I gather is pretty low.

So I figure my computer has sensed that I now know this and is all of a sudden giving me trouble. As I was browsing this very forum my monitors cut out on me and it looked like my system froze. I restarted and a few minutes later it happened again. So I figure it's either my PSU or heat.

Specs:

Safe Power 450W psu
A64 3500+
2x 512mb ram
MSI K8T neo2-fir
3 hard drives
2 cdrom drives
ati 9800 pro
Hercules Game Theatre XP
xp-120 w/ undervolted fan
 
Thanks for the resource, but what I was hoping for was a confirmation of my suspicion or possibly another idea of the cause of my trouble. If I can avoid spending money to see if it was the problem I'd like to do that. If not I'll be consulting your list. :)
 
Well I don't have that aux connector so i cuoldn't test 3.3V but here's what I got...

12v

idle: 12.19
load: 12.11

5v

idle: 5.07
load: 5.09

load was using SuperPI.

That seems fine so maybe it's heat.
 
qtwre said:
Well I don't have that aux connector so i cuoldn't test 3.3V but here's what I got...

12v

idle: 12.19
load: 12.11

5v

idle: 5.07
load: 5.09

load was using SuperPI.

That seems fine so maybe it's heat.
Looks good to me! ;)

When was the last time you cleaned the dust out of your case & CPU HS?
 
just put a shiny new xp-120 heatsink on it a couple weeks ago. That's why it's a head scratcher.

Since it doesn't seem to be the PSU i put up another thread here to continue my troubleshooting.
 
Back
Top