UI is pretty simple and straightforward

Some dislikes

Servers down
Couldn't go online on Ghost
System gets pretty warm to the touch
Can't get system to work with my new 1TB HDD

Can't get system to work with my new 1TB HDD

You did it the right way?

"Playstation.com and get the version 1.5 PlayStation 4 Software Update. This can then be installed on your PS4 using a FAT 32-formatted USB drive (1GB or larger), which will put Sony’s operating system on the blank drive. To make the USB drive compatible, you’ll want to add a “PS4″ folder to the freshly formatted USB drive and then put an “UPDATE” folder inside. Drop the file you downloaded from Sony into the UPDATE folder and insert the USB drive into the powered down PS4. Then you can start the installation procedure by booting the PS4 with a special 7 second long (or more) press of the power button. With that PlayStation should recognize the drive and start the installation. Just make sure you select “Reinstall System Software”. The installation of the OS should take about five minutes from start to finish."

You did it the right way?

"Playstation.com and get the version 1.5 PlayStation 4 Software Update. This can then be installed on your PS4 using a FAT 32-formatted USB drive (1GB or larger), which will put Sony’s operating system on the blank drive. To make the USB drive compatible, you’ll want to add a “PS4″ folder to the freshly formatted USB drive and then put an “UPDATE” folder inside. Drop the file you downloaded from Sony into the UPDATE folder and insert the USB drive into the powered down PS4. Then you can start the installation procedure by booting the PS4 with a special 7 second long (or more) press of the power button. With that PlayStation should recognize the drive and start the installation. Just make sure you select “Reinstall System Software”. The installation of the OS should take about five minutes from start to finish."
Tried that but nothing. Gonna try again

Met my expectations so I'm happy! Haven't had any major issues, just some minor server timeouts and whatnot due to the sheer amount of traffic. Runs quiet and only got warm to the touch after a couple hours of gaming. UI is simple and snappy as previously stated. Overall very satisfied with my purchase and am looking forward to its future!

Turned it off and logged into Steam.

:rolleyes:

How are you all liking the controller? That's the only thing I'm worried about.

How are you all liking the controller? That's the only thing I'm worried about.

Its a BIG change from the DualShock 3, and probably the biggest revision of the Playstation controller yet. Its definitely a nice change, feels more comfortable than the predecessors and is larger which helps as well. Trackpad, for now, is mostly a gimmick but the concave triggers are welcomed. Sticks are still laid out symmetrically, but now slightly spaced out better. Overall, its much improved, however I think I still slightly prefer the Xbox 360 controller (haven't tried the Xbox One controller yet). I won't know for sure until I use the DualShock 4 quite a bit more.

Its a BIG change from the DualShock 3, and probably the biggest revision of thlaystation controller yet. Its definitely a nice change, feels more comfortable than the predecessors and is larger which helps as well. Trackpad, for now, is mostly a gimmick but the concave triggers are welcomed. Sticks are still laid out symmetrically, but now slightly spaced out better. Overall, its much improved, however I think I still slightly prefer the Xbox 360 controller (haven't tried the Xbox One controller yet). I won't know for sure until I use the DualShock 4 quite a bit more.

Thanks! How about the triggers? On the ps3 controller I hated them more than the sticks probably. they just felt huge to me.

Thanks! How about the triggers? On the ps3 controller I hated them more than the sticks probably. they just felt huge to me.

The triggers are concave now so your fingers don't slip off, they're definitely much more comfortable and a lot better for shooters; they're comparable to the Xbox 360 triggers. The only gripe I have with them is they feel just a little bit too small. But as I mentioned before, this may be something I get used to and even like once I spend more time with the controller.

Honestly, your best bet is to go and try it out yourself. There are quite a few stores now that have PS4 kiosks set up now. After reading other people's experiences with the controller and reviews on it I thought I knew exactly how it would feel in my hands, but it felt completely different than I imagined when I tried it out for the first time at a demo kiosk.

The triggers are concave now so your fingers don't slip off, they're definitely much more comfortable and a lot better for shooters; they're comparable to the Xbox 360 triggers. The only gripe I have with them is they feel just a little bit too small. But as I mentioned before, this may be something I get used to and even like once I spend more time with the controller.

Honestly, your best bet is to go and try it out yourself. There are quite a few stores now that have PS4 kiosks set up now. After reading other people's experiences with the controller and reviews on it I thought I knew exactly how it would feel in my hands, but it felt completely different than I imagined when I tried it out for the first time at a demo kiosk.

Good!

Mine is out for delivery! Thanks for the reply!

So far feels... weak... have ac4.

A lot of stuff is down, login times, setup, update etc were brutal due to server overload. Some please wait screens took 30 mins to time out.

Missing a lot of stuff on it compared to ps3. No media server support, no bc (knew about it, but consider it a weak point nevertheless), game launch doesn't feel next gen.

At this point, it's not able to displace the ps3 I have. Hoping it will get better...

So far feels... weak... have ac4.

A lot of stuff is down, login times, setup, update etc were brutal due to server overload. Some please wait screens took 30 mins to time out.

Missing a lot of stuff on it compared to ps3. No media server support, no bc (knew about it, but consider it a weak point nevertheless), game launch doesn't feel next gen.

At this point, it's not able to displace the ps3 I have. Hoping it will get better...

To be fair, few consoles launch with killer apps. The DS, which was one of the most popular consoles/handhelds of all time, was released with nothing but gimmicky games at best. It took awhile for Nintendo and other game developers to adapt the technology in gameplay in a more useful manner.

The new Infamous will be out on March 21 and The Order is another game to look out for in that general time period.

I'm getting the download on my phone while I'm at the office so I can update it as soon as I get home, we'll see how it works out...

No, I waited until lunch to go downstairs and pick it up from GameSpot. They need to stop bullshitting with the pre-order line in the morning. Instead of a fast moving line where people stepped up, paid for their order and GTFO, I was met with line for two registers with two people taking more than 10 minutes to figure out WTF they wanted.

Whatever, I prepped a USB stick yesterday and updated when I setup the PS4 in my office. So nice. I like how they rearranged the interface. It's neater looking and the inserted game is right there and ready for launch. Going to pack this up and get it ready for the trip home.

I can't really comment on anything except Knack and it hasn't knocked my socks off. I have Killzone waiting for me at home and NBA 2K14 comes in tomorrow. Don't know about you guys, but GameSpot was offering a $10 PSN credit if you purchased a year of PS Plus today.

The real experience starts when I get this thing connected to my home network. Too many restrictions at work to be bothered with that right now.

Regarding the file size for the update, I only had to choose between one of the three update methods (I chose PC),and was immediately sent to the 890MB file. I updated with that and my system is running fine. I did not swap the HDD.

ah the poor people starting the trolling early. :)

Poor people? Me and friend did the SAME exact thing. Who the hell wants to play Ghosts on a shitty console controller when they can play it with KB/M? The PS4 has been awesome so far, but it ain't that awesome...it's still a console. :p

And let's face it, there isn't much to do with the PS4 right now.

Last edited:
Poor people? Me and friend did the SAME exact thing. Who the hell wants to play Ghosts on a shitty console controller when they can play it with KB/M? The PS4 has been awesome so far, but it ain't that awesome...it's still a console. :p

This isn't a console debate thread, I think we can all agree on certain things but this isn't the place.

There's plenty to do if you want to play Killzone, Knack, AC IV (Also PC), NFS Rivals, NBA 2K14, and so on, The line up is alright at best, but I would say wait for a bit, personally, I'll be playing mine after work and housework is done.

I think most people are blinded by the new shiny thing out. Can't agree more with this.

This isn't a console debate thread, I think we can all agree on certain things but this isn't the place.

There's plenty to do if you want to play Killzone, Knack, AC IV (Also PC), NFS Rivals, NBA 2K14, and so on, The line up is alright at best, but I would say wait for a bit, personally, I'll be playing mine after work and housework is done.

Don't take that the wrong way, I never debate console vs PC because consoles are behind PC the very day they are released...that's just the nature of technology. Like you said, what you can do on consoles after release is pretty limited.

No, I waited until lunch to go downstairs and pick it up from GameSpot. They need to stop bullshitting with the pre-order line in the morning. Instead of a fast moving line where people stepped up, paid for their order and GTFO, I was met with line for two registers with two people taking more than 10 minutes to figure out WTF they wanted.

Whatever, I prepped a USB stick yesterday and updated when I setup the PS4 in my office. So nice. I like how they rearranged the interface. It's neater looking and the inserted game is right there and ready for launch. Going to pack this up and get it ready for the trip home.

I can't really comment on anything except Knack and it hasn't knocked my socks off. I have Killzone waiting for me at home and NBA 2K14 comes in tomorrow. Don't know about you guys, but GameSpot was offering a $10 PSN credit if you purchased a year of PS Plus today.

The real experience starts when I get this thing connected to my home network. Too many restrictions at work to be bothered with that right now.

I didn't know GameSpot sold Video Games & Consoles, I thought they were just an online review website :eek:

Be honest with yourself, sometimes it's hard to say no when a new piece of hardware comes out.

I mean, that's what I was saying though. New, shiny stuff blinds people's actual perceptions of what they bought. Sure, it's a nice piece of hardware, but it's not THAT nice.

I understand the honeymoon period very well, being someone that overpays for cars. Eventually, you really start to regret the fact that the car costs more than some people's mortgage payments. But by then, you're in another car with the same or higher cost, which is a win/win, as it doesn't let you fully process the past decision all that well. It's a vicious cycle. :eek::D

I mean, that's what I was saying though. New, shiny stuff blinds people's actual perceptions of what they bought. Sure, it's a nice piece of hardware, but it's not THAT nice.

I understand the honeymoon period very well, being someone that overpays for cars. Eventually, you really start to regret the fact that the car costs more than some people's mortgage payments. But by then, you're in another car with the same or higher cost, which is a win/win, as it doesn't let you fully process the past decision all that well. It's a vicious cycle. :eek::D

Well, for many people, it is that nice. Not everyone has a high end PC, particularly since the days of MS Office requiring new hardware are long gone. For many people, the PS3 was their high end gaming system, and the PS4 is a major step up. I love my Honda Accord because I'll never be able to afford that Maserati GranTurismo.

My impression? I managed to get a bad unit. No video output when I boot it up and only have the blue pulsing light. Tried multiple TVs and hdmi cables. I read similar issues online and this does not seem to be fixable on my end. Talking with Amazon right now to see what I can do at this point with either replacing or getting a refund.

My impression? I managed to get a bad unit. No video output when I boot it up and only have the blue pulsing light. Tried multiple TVs and hdmi cables. I read similar issues online and this does not seem to be fixable on my end. Talking with Amazon right now to see what I can do at this point with either replacing or getting a refund.
Look inside the HDMI port. One of the pins may be bent.

I received mine so I'll post my impressions after a few hours. However it booted fine , updated fine and is working perfectly fine. I guess Sony is going to have to address the faulty units people have been getting with some kind of better acknowledgement. But I don't think they deserve harsh blow back , Microsoft had a huge failure rate with the RROD and wouldn't even fully acknowledge it for years so at least Sony has been forth coming with the issue. It also appears that the PS4 will be instock more frequently than first thought so you may be able to get a replacement console from the retailer you purchased one at so give that a shot before contacting Sony (although I doubt Gamestop would have anymore at this point).

I checked the HDMI port on the back for the pop'd metal piece people have said causes the HDMI cable to not fully insert. Mine was not effected by this problem so it works great.

I can say without a doubt that having such a dramatically faster CPU/GPU sure makes for an amazingly snappy UI. This UI is easily as fast if not faster than many custom ones I've seen for HTPC's and that's really saying something. Sony really went to the full extent needed to make the XMB even more functional and faster.

I checked the HDMI port on the back for the pop'd metal piece people have said causes the HDMI cable to not fully insert. Mine was not effected by this problem so it works great.

I checked mine too and I could definitely see the metal pieces that could be a problem. I pushed them down a little before I put the cable in.

Already checked nothing seems wrong. Think I just have a faulty device.
Does the HDMI cable go in all the way? Some reports of the cable only going in about half way will cause the blue light. If you see the gold on the connector while plugged in then it's not in all the way.

Got mine up and running. I havent been fallowing the console wars and I order it just because. Didnt get any games yet, was planning on seeing what PSN had to offer but I am still unable to login.

Actually extremely shocked to see it has no media server capabilities. That was the main reason I purchased it and I just assumed it was a part. I use my PS3 daily as my media player for my TV. Honestly, until this is added in, this will just be collecting dust and if it doesnt come in a week or two Ill sell the unit.

got mine in the basement, in the coldest room behind the wall where my TV is. sits on a wire shelf with two 120mm fans to aid in cooling.
wjtn.jpg

mine booted to black, but I just held down the power button for 10 seconds and it game me 480, launched and setup to 1080p i was ready to call mine a dead unit, but its fine.

I haven't had any issues with the hardware. While I knew this going in, I'm still a little bummed at the lack of games right now. I'm a big fan of the Killzone series, but so far the new Killzone just feels a bit off. Graphics are great, but there's no cover system, and I find myself dying a lot. I should probably stick with Mouse & Keyboard for FPS.

I've been thinking about Need for Speed, it looks really fun but I'm not really a "racing guy". Still need to try out Resogun and Contrast.

Back