PS2 dying.....trade in questions

bonnjer

n00b
Hi all, I'm trying to ask around and perhaps find someone who has done this before. I believe my PS2 is slowly on its way out. Last night and this morning while I was playing MVP baseball, it started making some hard clicking noises. I've heard these same noises before every now and then, but not nearly as much. These noises now come often and sometimes the game screen will freeze momentarily like when a new batter is coming up. Anyway, to my actual question now.....

I'm looking into getting a new PS2. My current PS2 still works, but does anyone know if somewhere such as Gamestop will accept an older console as part of a trade-in on a new one? What I mean is will they give you any kind of credit for it?

If anyone has any experience with this, I sure would appreciate to hear about it. Thanks in advance.

Trade in a ps2 (working) and 3 games for 100 bucks in store credit at EB. or just a working ps2 for like 70. any questions pm me i work there =)

thedork said:
Trade in a ps2 (working) and 3 games for 100 bucks in store credit at EB. or just a working ps2 for like 70. any questions pm me i work there =)

ppffft, I keep my old consoles,I payed like, $300 for them, like hll IM selling it for only enough money to buy like, one game

I'd sell it on ebay or here in the FS/FT forum before giving it to those guys at Gamestop. They never give you a fair price.

heatsinker said:
I'd sell it on ebay or here in the FS/FT forum before giving it to those guys at Gamestop. They never give you a fair price.

what is a fair price on a dying/almost dead console?

$50. Lowest I bought one for is $35, with no controllers, a dead laser, and missing front drive bezel. Best deal I've had was $50 for a completely dead V7 (blown BA, missing resistors, lifted pads; point of no return practically), but it came with a controller and a fully functional KHS-400C laser, which is worth $40 by itself.

I'm assuming "dying" to bonnjer means that the laser is acting up, at least that's what my diagnosis is judging from his description. As a local console repairman, I think I'm spot on. :p

Have you tried opening your PS2, ejecting the drive and rotating the white gear that controls the lift/angle on the lens? If not, I'd suggest it. It sounds like somehow that thing is smacking your game discs and causing the click/hitches in gameplay. I had the dreaded Disc Read Error problem and after trial and error on finding the lens' sweet spot, it works like new. Give it a shot, do a search on Disc Read Error PS2 on google, there are some good articles that describe how to fix it.

The clicking noise can be the lens hitting the disc, but if you don't notice any circular scratch patterns on your discs then it's the sound of the lens constantly focusing in and out. Adjusting the laser's angles can fix the DRE issue, but it's no more than a bandaid; the real problem is still in the system.

ryanrule said:
u can prob return it to walmart for full price lol

That's a practice often frowned upon in these parts and I tend to agree with that.

Burn it in a ritualistic fire and cleanse yourself by playing on your PC for 4 days straight!

... <_<
>_>

So, yeah, I'm a PC f@nboy. I'll just shut up now.

Back