PS Vita OLED screen - disappointed

alamone

Gawd
Joined
Sep 30, 2008
Messages
592
So, has anyone else gotten their hands on the PS Vita? I imported one from Japan and I have to say, I'm quite disappointed with the OLED screen after all the hype. I thought they were supposed to have superior viewing angles, but there's tremendous color shift if you're even a little bit off on the vertical or horizontal axis. It's almost as bad as a TN panel - but instead of color inversion, the color hue changes.
 
Is it a real OLED though, as in separate red/green/blue emitters or one of those fake OLED's that have white emitters and use crappy color filters?
 
It was done on purpose. When the ps vita slim/lite comes out, the screen will be better.
 
The color shift I think is related to the light extraction. This is important because it increases efficiency and lifetime.

Edit - The colour shift is possibly related to the use of an optical microcavity structure.

Is it a real OLED though, as in separate red/green/blue emitters or one of those fake OLED's that have white emitters and use crappy color filters?

Is the $25,000 Sony BVM-E250 monitor which uses CF a "fake OLED" device?

You don't know of what you are talking about
 
Last edited:
So, has anyone else gotten their hands on the PS Vita? I imported one from Japan and I have to say, I'm quite disappointed with the OLED screen after all the hype. I thought they were supposed to have superior viewing angles, but there's tremendous color shift if you're even a little bit off on the vertical or horizontal axis. It's almost as bad as a TN panel - but instead of color inversion, the color hue changes.

I owned the LG15 inch OLED tv for some time and game with the PS3 exclusively on it. OLED is still sample and hold tech like LCD, so blur can still be an issue. As for viewing angles, it was pretty good but not as good as plasma. Do you play your Vita off angle? I cant imagine this being an issue for a portable system :/

Overall OLED is superior to LCD, the only thing that makes me not care that much about OLED is the local dimming tvs like the Sony HX909 that I have. They give the same kind of inky blacks but some issues with blooming make it fall short of what OLED can do.

Overall do you like the Vita? I want to get one when it comes out here, the contrast and color straight on should look fantastic, and the clarity should be really good too, right?
 
I'm still waiting for any games to come out that I want to actually play, so I haven't put much time into it.
When you look straight on, the screen looks fine, but it still bothers me that the sweet spot is so narrow.
 
Is the $25,000 Sony BVM-E250 monitor which uses CF a "fake OLED" device?

You don't know of what you are talking about

Far as I know that doesn't use white OLED's.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/758921-REG/Sony_BVM_E250_BVM_E250_Trimaster_EL_OLED.html

Color filter for each RGB enhances the display's color purity and also reduces ambient light reflection.

I'm talking about this:

http://www.oled-info.com/samsung-and-lg-introduce-55-oled-tvs-ces-2012-products-shipping-july-2011

LG Display is adopting a white-OLED with color filter design, which is less efficient than Samsung's true RGB OLED panel, but according to LG this will be easier to produce and ultimately cheaper for the consumer.
 
What makes you think this display will be "crappy", and compared to what?

I'm not saying anything against that particular display. In fact, I hope it will at least beat every LCD TV out there at the moment. If it does not succeed at that, it is a failure.

I'm just tired of half-assed solutions, that's all. It seems that in every tech, every innovation, the people behind the wheel keep saying "OK, that's the right way to do things, but how can we do this cheaper and crappier, it's not like anyone will notice anyway?".
 
I haven't touched Vita yet but I have used Galaxy Note for a while, which also uses Samsung OLED as in Vita. For viewing angle, I don't see anything wrong with it. Well, there may be very slightly color shift but definitely way better than TN panel or even IPS panel.

I'm not sure if OLED in Vita is inferior to the one used in Galaxy Note but I don't think there is much difference in viewing angle.
 
Is it a real OLED though, as in separate red/green/blue emitters or one of those fake OLED's that have white emitters and use crappy color filters?

Teardows show it using a Samsung OLED, AFAIK Samsung builds OLED with different chemistry to produce each color Red,Green, Blue.

The Verge Agrees that it is a Samsung and they mention the hue shift as normal for OLED:
Super AMOLED Plus display from Samsung, which takes up most of the front of the unit. It's absolutely gorgeous, with fantastic color reproduction and deep black levels that often make it hard to tell where the bezel stops and the screen begins. Viewing angles are very good, with the picture remaining clear at extreme positions, though like many other OLED displays it can take on a blueish tint when the system is tilted...

Also there is nothing fake about WOLED. In fact WOLED fixes the issue of uneven color wear, while maintaining all other OLED advantages.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top