Prosumer Home Setup

rifken

n00b
I want to beef up my home network backend.

About three months ago my wife gave me the go ahead to cut the cable and we use a freenas box to serve up local HD content, as well as stream a lot of video from the internet, to 4 XBMC boxes in the house.

I have killed quite a bit of equipment. I had a trendnet switch burn out, determined that my WHS box had bad RAM, and yesterday I killed my mini-itx DD-WRT router. Granted a lot of the equipment had some miles on them so it can be expected to nuke some of it based on the always on nature and always in use.

Our useage is that we have at any given point two devices streaming media at any given time. I also have a virtual server setup with at least two images running at any time with an active RDP connection from me. I have several databased running that use network as well. My wife is on the internet all the time with her iPhone and her laptop. She posts photos for clients and such. I play on xbox live when time permits. I typically have a VPN connection to the corp office about half the time as well. I also have night WHS backups taking place. I work from home about half the week and issues that drop me from the VPN are not acceptable if I plan to continue working from home.

I am looking for advice on a new setup at home to keep everything well-oiled. Before the router died yesterday most of the time, 95%, everything was smooth. Since replacing the hardware for the x86 DD-WRT router yesterday the network has stuttered several times, shows will stop stream, VPN will drop, internet goes down. Once this happens it usually hiccups for 30 seconds or so and doesn't seem to stop until I reboot DD-WRT. Then things settle down for quite a while.

My setup at home is a patch panel in the garage with 8 drops throughout the house. I have the house wired with Cat5e and everything runs fine at gigabit speeds. I had a Via EPIA mini-itx C800 board with 128MB of RAM running DD-WRT for the router with a PCI Intel NIC for the LAN port. That fed in to a TrendNet Green 8 port gigabit switch that fed in to the patch panel that ran to the rest of the house. The replacement DD-WRT router, for now, is an old HP 2GHz machine with 512MB of RAM. I replaced the bad TrendNet switch about 6 weeks ago with another of the same model. Part of the problem I am sure is the winters and summers in the garage are not easy on the equipment. This past week the temp in the garage got to around 24 degrees F. In the summer it can get up to 115 degrees F or more.

About 4 weeks ago my WHS decided to die on me so I replaced it with new hardware and use Freenas as the OS. This also allowed me to virtualize several other machines on to the new hardware.

I want to redo the network with better gear that can handle my setup without hiccuping. I have looked at build my own super router again using DD-WRT on an Intel Atom board with dual onboard Intel Gigabit Nics and feeding that in to the same TrendNet switch or even an upgraded switch. That option will likely run me $370 plus a new switch. But that allows me to continue to use DD-WRT with I know and like. Another option has been a RouterBoard 1100AH. It has 13 Gigabit ports built in to the unit plus it is its router, switch and router in one unit. It runs routerOS however and I don't know it. I played with the online demo last night it was not too bad but it isn't my DD-WRT... I could figure it out if need be. This option appears to be around $400.

tl,dr
My home setup consists of a router with DHCP and some port forwarding along with a ton of internal traffic. What would be a setup to make sure this setup has a 99%, or as close to that as possible, uptime, for around $400.

Your garage is killing your equipment. Its probably moisture from the heating/cooling cycle, especially in winter. Maybe a dehumidifier would help. Personally, I'd find another place.

If you just need a router/firewall, buy a SonicWall TZ100 and be done with it. They're not that expensive and very, very stable. They also have a nice SSL VPN server built in. Then keep using your existing switch or buy a new one.

I have thought about moving the router inside for that very reason. However, because my cat5 is terminated in the garage my options for moving the switch are limited to ain't going to happen!

That said, are there any switches out there that might deal with the conditions better?

You could always run two drops. One goes into the router WAN and one out the LAN, and then route them back to the patch panel and patch them to the switch/modem if you are wanting to at least move your router to a different location.

I have a Mikrotik router with a transparent Untangle box on an HP Procurve. Rock solid network and on a UPS. Doesn't even even hicccup and Mikrotik allows VPN connections as well.

That is what I was looking at, moving the router to my home office. I have three drops there and I could use two of the three to move the router and then use a switch on the remaining drop to put my desktop and printer back on the network.

Now if only I could find a good router for my purposes.

In the past I used DD-WRT on a 800Mhz via CPU. I set the unit to reboot each tuesday night at 4AM and I never had an issue with the unit except in the winter months when it dropped below 30 degrees outside.

I don't suppose I need a Gigabit LAN port or WAN port for that matter but I am mainly looking for something that has bullet proof NICs. When I used a realtek NIC for my LAN port in the DD-WRT box I could kill the port in 20 minutes if not careful and I would have to restart DD-WRT to return everything to normal. When I switched the LAN interface to an Intel gigabit card all of those issues went away.

I use an Intel Mini-ITX board with a D525 Atom processor, 2 GB of RAM, and a PCI-X dual gigabit Intel card for my NICs. I don't bother with the onboard. A PCIX card works in a PCI slot, just sticks out the back. I paid maybe 140 bucks for all of that stuff. This was little over a year ago.

If you don't need any UTM features, try out RouterOS (Mikrotik) a lot of bang for the buck. Very rock solid as well and cheap.

Your garage is killing your equipment. Its probably moisture from the heating/cooling cycle, especially in winter. Maybe a dehumidifier would help. Personally, I'd find another place.

If you just need a router/firewall, buy a SonicWall TZ100 and be done with it. They're not that expensive and very, very stable. They also have a nice SSL VPN server built in. Then keep using your existing switch or buy a new one.

Or try a Zyxel USG 50... same features at the same price but a bit more powerful CPU.

If you move your router inside you may still have problems with a switch being in the garage since the patch panel is still there. Granted you won't lose your office connection, but the other wired connections will go down.

Is there an interior room next to the garage such as a utility room or closet?

If so you can grab some 25-50 foot cat6/cat5e patch cables and feed them from the patch panel in the garage to the interior room/closet.

Getting your router and switch out of the garage should become the goal IMO.

Maybe post a few pictures ? Is it possible to build a enclosure around this or put this into one ?

Back