Pros and cons of Optical mice vs Laser mice?

CyByte

Gawd
can anyone please tell me the pros and cons of optical vs laser mice? do they work better faster or not at all on certain surfaces? I have an optical now so I am pretty familiar with it. glass is bad for detection :)

A laser mouse is still an optical mouse, but very few optical mouses use lasers. Using coherent light won't improve things very much in this situation. Laser light will shoot right through glass just like LED light will.

so to simplify this. lasers are cooler yes?

This doesn't bother me, I purchased memeory that was recommended because it was good and I didn't second guess it because it was shiny

It's up to you which you think is cooler. I don't think laser mice are cooler. Personally I wouldn't factor light source into the coolness of a mouse simply because it really doesn't matter. You won't see it during normal usage. It doesn't really affect performance. And good luck finding a laser mouse other than the MX-1000. They aren't all that common.

Is it more for the bling-bling? "hey noob, I have a laser mousie! Im going to PWNZ JOO" type of thing?

2000 dpi will be incredible in FPS but if they're that much better then the optical counter parts that is yet to be seen. So far I haven't seen much info that shows it is that much better. But I am in need of a new mouse.

Laser is "better" than optical because you get more usable data on more varieties of surfaces from laser than you do optical. Surfaces that produce marginal optical response can produce excellent laser response. From an end-user standpoint, the difference in tracking performance is probably imperceptible under ideal surface conditions for both sensor types. Overall, however, laser provides more accurate tracking from a sensor level.

ahh ok. my desk is a marble color so the different dotted patters make the mouse move funny sometimes. maybe it will be better with laser

Just use a mousepad with a constant spectrum of color and you won't need to be boggled down with reflective or marble surfaces.

Back