Proposed X-QPack...Your thoughts please

PING MCS

n00b
My first "kick at the cat", as far as a SFF system goes. Definetly not my first build *lol*. I'm looking for really good solid speed in general + a system that has room to grow later, ie: upgraded CPU / Vid / RAM. I welcome your opinion. However...please..."You're out to lunch" doesn't really help. "You're out to lunch for wanting to put in_______, instead you should put in _____, here's why_______"... really DOES help. Here's what I'm proposing to build:

Case: X Q-Pack
Mobo: Asus A8NE-FM
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3700+
RAM: OCZ Platinum REV2 EL DC 1GB (2x512) PC3200
HDD: Western Digital Raptor, 74GB
Video Card: BFG GeForce 6600 GT OC 128MB
Optical Drive(s): BenQ DW1655 (two drives:insert source disk, blank disk...walk away)
PSU: Enermax Liberty 500
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS7000B-CU
Replacement Case Fan: Antec Tricool 120mm (blowing IN to produce positive pressure)

Thanks in advance to everyone for your help.

PING MCS said:
My first "kick at the cat", as far as a SFF system goes. Definetly not my first build *lol*. I'm looking for really good solid speed in general + a system that has room to grow later, ie: upgraded CPU / Vid / RAM. I welcome your opinion. However...please..."You're out to lunch" doesn't really help. "You're out to lunch for wanting to put in_______, instead you should put in _____, here's why_______"... really DOES help. Here's what I'm proposing to build:

Case: X Q-Pack
Mobo: Asus A8NE-FM
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3700+
RAM: OCZ Platinum REV2 EL DC 1GB (2x512) PC3200
HDD: Western Digital Raptor, 74GB
Video Card: BFG GeForce 6600 GT OC 128MB
Optical Drive(s): BenQ DW1655 (two drives:insert source disk, blank disk...walk away)
PSU: Enermax Liberty 500
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS7000B-CU
Replacement Case Fan: Antec Tricool 120mm (blowing IN to produce positive pressure)

Thanks in advance to everyone for your help.

Draft is noticeable at the side intakes, so i don't think needed for blowing IN to produce positive pressure.

6600 GT onless you getting on the cheap is a dated card, x1600 pro/xt or 6800 GS is better buy at that price point.

Great choice in powersupply, ram, cpu, etc. etc. etc

But I would get the Biostar T-Force board over the Asus one. (Never think I would ever say that in my life).

biostar tforce6100. or maybe one of the epox matx 61xx boards. turning the fan around only helps temps in hot weather. much better to buy an 80 or 92mm hole saw and put an intake fan in the side window near the front. other stuff seems ok except for lightweight vid card.

defo get the biostar

i cant really see the point in getting such a good hdd with that poor graphics card. id rather get a more standard hdd and spend some more in a better gfx.

WOW...thanks folks. Thanks soooo much for your help. I'll use a 'lilo bit 'o everyones advice and change to...

1) MOBO:
ASUS A8N-VM CSM
(The NorthBridge heatsink IS close to the CPU...buuuuuuuut I love Asus boards, they've
never let me down!)

2) Case Cooling
a) 120mm case fan stays with "normal orientation
b) 92mm air intake
(Low, near the front...is either side preferred ? BTW, I'm getting the non-window case)

3) Video Card
6800GS for now, something which "matches" with the rest of the system later

4) Power Supply
Enermax Liberty 500 as previously mentioned
(Whats all this talk of people having to mount 'em upside down ???...I want to definetly
avoid that !

Back