Projector for computer

burg

n00b
Can you use a projector for a computer monitor? If so...will it last and look ok? Or will it be horrible and crappy? I intend on running it...5-6 hours everyday.

Also, if this is possible, what are the options out there?

Thanks.

I'm not sure if you can use a projector instead of a monitor, but you can definitely hook it up to your computer and project whatever you want on to a screen. You just need to make sure the projector is compatible with your computer, etc.

if you used it as your monitor all the time, you'd want to shoot yourself later after you see how much you'll be spending in bulbs a year

What I mean is to use both, a monitor and a projector, but to use the project like I would a normal monitor. Instead of looking at a monitor, I'd be looking at the projected image. Would it last/work?

Thanks

It would work, but like LittleMe said, you'd be spending a fortune on light bulbs if you used it as a "replacement" for your monitor.

In addition, the average temperature in your computer room will go up about 10 degrees.

You certainly can use a projector as a computer monitor - that's what they are for - but it just really isn't practical. Are you suggesting this because you just want a huge display for your workstation? Considering most projectors will only do 1024x768 max, it just doesn't make sense. Use a monitor and if you want a projector for movies or some gaming, go for it.

also depends on what type of projector ;)

the best LCD is around 1366x768
The best DLP goes 1280*720
The best dila/lcos is around 1365*1024
the best CRT porjector

2000x2000 ;)

burg

what is yuor budget.. and please do not say 200 dollars. I mean REALISTICALLY.

figgie said:
also depends on what type of projector ;)

the best LCD is around 1366x768
The best DLP goes 1280*720
The best dila/lcos is around 1365*1024
the best CRT porjector

2000x2000 ;)

burg

what is yuor budget.. and please do not say 200 dollars. I mean REALISTICALLY.

2000x2000 for $30,000 :eek:

Or under 5K used. Hell mine was only $1000, though it cant resolve 2000x2000.

I was looking into the InFocus X1, it is super cheap (I think $899 on bestbuy.com with free shipping). But I have never seen one in action and don't know how it would handle the load I want to throw at it: Alot of 4:3 gaming, DVD's, Non-HD cable or satellite, and of course the occasional use as a computer screen ( DOOM :)... Any thoughts?

MaddJoser said:
2000x2000 for $30,000 :eek:

umm no

CRT projectors are used. They don't make em any more save for one or two co's

Used they can be anywhere from 3k up to about 10k (for the ones that CAN do 2000x2000) :)

I have an Infocus X1 which I have hooked up to my HTPC.

I like it. It is clear and has all the qualities I needed at a very reasonable price.

Only real downsides to a projector are:

- Bulb life. I watch 2 or so hours of TV a day on average on this thing, I did the math once and it will take me around 4 years to wear it out. Plus I have seen bulbs cheap on ebay for a couple of hundred bucks.

- Light in the room. Depending on where your projector is, light can be an issue. I have Blackout material behind all my curtains in my house so that when I close them it is very dark. This works for more situations but when watching something that is very dark I still have issues seeing things. But for the most part it is excellent.

Other than that a projector is an excellent addition to a house. It takes up way less room than a big TV and it is a heck of a lot cheaper.

Oh ya. Doom3 + Projector = goodness

Spud

Spud, Do you have any pictures of your setup? Maybe you can show us what it looks like running a game or watching a dvd?

No camera, I will see what I can find.

Not much to see though, guess I can take a picture of my wall :) Everything else is hidden away pretty much. I even keep my HTPC system in another room to keep the noise down.

Spud

i use a little epson projector that does 800x600, works great for movies and gaming... i try not to use it much becuase $400~$600 for a lamp dosent tickle my fancy...

realistically these things are disposable, its almost cheaper to buy a new projector than get the fargin lamp, since by the time you need to replace the lamp there is probably a better one... o well :p

anyway mine was free so yay :D

Its the same reason printer ink is so expensive. When you have the market cornered you can charge whatever you want.

Spud

i feel so lucky with my 10k+ hours of crt tubes usefullness ;)

only downside is when they go. Around 1k usd to replace. but hey. All in good fuuness for 1280x720 or even 1707x960 ;) Unfort mine can not do 1080P yes Progressive not interlaced ;)

Moralpanic

the X1 with DCDi native resolution is 800x600 so you are correct. Even the new Inforcus X2 without DCDi only does 800x600 but both pjs are DLP based not LCD :) So the balck levels and contrast is much better.

Here's my take on it:
X1 is great for PC use (games, windows, browsing) and some TV (it's native 4:3 limits it in that way). As someone else mentioned you will need a somewhat dark room as the X1 doesn't like daylight very much.

if you are going into heavy movies (dvd, hdtv etc..) X1 is not the projector for you, you'll want a 16:9 native projector for that (many of them out there, one of the cheaper yet good one is the Epson Homelite 10 but there are tons of others).

just food for thought.
if you want to really get into picking a projector I highly recommend:
avsforum projector threads but they are mostly X1 nuts....

Back