Project MoMMa: built a pc for mother out of parts laying around the house

TheTyrant

Gawd
So i was thinking what i am going to start to do with all the computer parts i have just laying around the house. And i was thinking that my mom is using some PowerMac 5400 PowerMac 5400
so i built her this, these are parts that were in my file cabinet, cardboard boxes, in the back porch, all over the house. Not a bad little machine. The only thing she does on the internet is email, thats about it. and sometimes she likes to go to some webpages or whatever. but here are the specs and pictures. have a laugh and take a look.:(oh ya. i think i went to far to research what went into the computer, but it was fun looking everything up)

*Project MoMMa*
-----------------
HD: Quantum 1GB IDE 3.5" - FB10A492
Floppy: Sony 3.5" Floppy Drive
power supply: ACBEL 95W APTIVA 2153-2158
case: IBM 2159 Media Console
cd: 73G2601 IBM 8x CD ROM Drive
Motherboard: Acer V70MA Motherboard
OnBoard Video: ATI Rage pro turbo 8 MB
Processor: AMD K6-2
-Clock Speed: 333 MHz
-Bus Speed : 95 MHz
-Clock Muiltiplier: 3.5x
CPU FAN: Sunon N5010B1
Fan facts
Model: Sunon N5010B1
Size: 50 x 50 x 10mm
Blow: 11.4CFM
Noise: 35dB
Rpm: 6000rpm
Wattage: 1.6W
Bearing: Ball
Ram: COMPAQ 32MB DIMM
Compaq Sps-mem dimm 64mb 66mhz
Modem: Texas Instruments V1414VH-L

Before:
BEFOREProjectMoMMa1.JPG

After:

ProjectMoMMa1.JPG

ProjectMoMMa2.JPG

ProjectMoMMa3.JPG

ProjectMoMMa4.JPG

And plus, i do plan to buy a new Case. That skeleton case there is just to hold everything together. tell me what you think.

You know you could run Windows 2000 on that system. It's about as weak as my spare parts server (known as "My Pants" at LAN parties) and I'm running W2K on it with no troubles.

BTW, nice system. Put it all in a nice little case and your mom should be very happy. However you might think about picking up a little secondary drive someplace. Usually used parts bins will have an old 2 - 5 GB drive for very little money.

Originally posted by Scalpel
You know you could run Windows 2000 on that system.
I only had a copy of Windows 98 se

However you might think about picking up a little secondary drive someplace. Usually used parts bins will have an old 2 - 5 GB drive for very little money.
Nah.. She doesnt need the room, she is just using it for email. and once in a while a Webpage that she is going to. And is a hell of alot better then the powermac that she is using.

I hope it didn't sound like I was criticizing; it's a fine computer. I was just saying that if you did ever want to monkey with it in the future, those would be the two things I'd do to it. But yeah, it's definitely a decent system.

I hope it didn't sound like I was criticizing; it's a fine computer. I was just saying that if you did ever want to monkey with it in the future, those would be the two things I'd do to it. But yeah, it's definitely a decent system.

No its cool, i didnt mean to snap at ya. If she does in the future need more space..and doesnt like win98se. Or she actually uses the thing more then an 2hrs a week. then ill put more into it.

Should of ripped the guts out of that mac and tried to put everything in that case. Perhaps you can do that later on though. ;)

:eek:i have one or two of those quantum 1gb drives lying around. and a k6-2 475 mhz (no mobo) and a k6-3 450+ and ... stupid old crap. my family system is a p2 266 and my fileserver is a p3 450. i am teh master of using old hardware (i also have 5 4gb wide scsi drives and a controller lying around, it makes a nice raid 5 setup in linux)

this really takes me back (just not that far, unfortunately)

that outta make a nice webbrowsing machine.

Back