Project: First steps...

Gammas

n00b
Hey, I haven't really done any kind of case modding before, but...I put together a plan, and a component list, and have started down the path of creating something. It won't be as pretty as most of the mods I see on here, but, damnit, it'll be something I did

What follows is a chronicle of my build.

Starting with the parts:

I0VE7pcl.jpg

The case:
T8aJoF0l.jpg

That's a z97 Mark S, 4790k, Megahalems blue cooler, gskill ripjaws something or other ram (I need to replace them, scavenged from my computer), 3 200mm fans, 2 140mm fans, 2 120mm fans (cougar for the 120's and 140's, bitfenix for the 200s) Seasonic Snowsilent 750w psu, EVGA 980ti, painted white. Thermaltake core x9 case (white).

The modding parts:
hUd8K8bl.jpg

Spraypaint, and paracord. Lots of paracord.

My first sleeved cables ever:
aPTJW8ol.jpg

They're complete shit, but I'll have an update with my SECOND ever sleeved cables in a day or two...They came out much nicer.

Case vision:
Blue and white. Every cable or device attached to the inside of the computer should be either blue or white. The cables are going to have 1-2 blue strands and the rest white. I'm going to get a white USB 3.0 extension for the front panel connectors, and paint the fans to have a white frame and blue blades.

Future plans:
Lighting. I need to figure out lighting. My plan is to drop some LEDs in the bottom half of the case, and cover the window with frosted <something> so I get a nice glow effect. I'm also planning to get a set of individually addressable LED lights, along with something to control them (arduino?), connect it to the spare USB 2.0 port on my mobo, and write a program to control the lights from the computer.

Rest of colors:

Open questions:
1: What should I use to cover half the window? I don't have a ton of space to do any drilling or serious cutting, so something easy to work with would be best.

2: Them fans. I plan on painting them, but I haven't yet taken them apart. I need to take them apart and make sure I can cut the built in LEDs off.

3: Does anyone know how to take off the stock heatsink fans on the EVGA card? I tried, but there's some kind of weird clip-in 4 pin power connector so it doesn't pull out, and there isn't much space to work with because the cables are rather short.

Lessons learned:
Melt that stupid paracord. I haven't worked with it before, and I wasn't letting it melt nearly enough to sleeve the cables properly w/out heatshrink. It took a scrap couple pieces and watching tutorials on how to join paracord via melting before I figured it out.

A paperclip works *much* better than the minifit jr removal tool for getting the connectors out of their housings. The official tool for the 4-pin connectors works like magic getting the 4pins out, however.

More to come :)

And the promised second set of cables...

dO7e6ASl.jpg

The ends are all nicely fit into their homes in the connector. Next up, the 24 pin cable and taking apart the fans to paint them.

elHqIehl.jpg

Yay, 24 pin cable done!

I think I'm going to just make extensions for the PCI-E cables, will be far easier to keep neat looking than dealing with double wires.

L2EG8wvl.jpg

I test-painted a dead fan (ignore the unsleeved wires and the crappy paint job on the bottom) and I'm not sold on my original plan of painting them. I like the blue of the blades, but the white is a bit off I think. I'm not sure how yet, though.

And one more update

Original before lighting. Lots of empty space...but I have a plan for it
9jSewqpl.jpg

After lighting #1
vmBsAWKl.jpg

After lighting #2
Uw0UL8wl.jpg

I have a microcontroller(teensy 2.0++) hooked up to the lights in the case, so they fade from #1 to #2 (along with a ton of colors in between)

Next up, programming the lights to do something more.

Back