Programs keep coming on at start up - XP Pro

Flogger23m

[H]F Junkie
For some reason, certian programs keep coming on in my XP Pro PC. If I disable them in MSconfig, they won't come on for a restarts, but after 4 or so, they come back. I have to constantly disable them every week or so.

The programs in question are Quick Time, some Adobe manager (think that is what it was), and something else.

Anyone know how to prevent these programs for always turning on? Is there something else I have to do aside from disabling them in MSconfig (I don't want to uninstall the programs completely)?

Quicktime will automatically set itself up for auto start even if you uncheck it, it has always done that. It does show the registry key for qttask and you could try navigating to that and deleting it. You could also install Windows Defender and use the software explorer feature and block it on startup. What I would do though is just uninstall it and use qt alternative which allows QT playback without qt player.

As for adobe, again, try to just delete it via registry entry. You could also uninstall it and try Sumatra PDF, which I believe is the most superior free PDF viewer. It's quick and lightweight, remembers your PDF view settings (if you exit on page 10, it loads that PDF at page 10) and has absolutely zero bloat in terms of 'buying features', like Foxit reader has.

You can deactivate entries without deleting them.
I use Autoruns.

Actually, I have NEVER had qttask re-enable itself, unless it was after an update.

Back