Program to change Windows XP appearance?

gHeTTo.AzN.PrEp

Weaksauce
What is a program that will change the appearance of Windows XP interface to a complete new one? Instead of the taskbar on the bottom, it could be something else instead. I use to have the site saved in my favorites, but reformatted and forgot to save the url. I remembering reading about it on here and saved the url. Thanks in advance.

you can use stylexp....but it's 3rd party....or you can download one of the multi-patchers that will patch your uxtheme.dll files and let you use new themes....i get my themes from the neowin forums and deviant art under application skins-visual styles....they have about every visual style there is....

Anyone know of a good site to get some good themes for Windows 2000? or is this themexp compatible with 2k?

win2k doesn't have the theme engine (luna?) that xp has, 2k = no frills

yep you won't get much win2k....it doesn't natively support themes....so there is no 3rd party app or .dll hack for it....sorry....time to upgrade for you :D

is there anything else besides keeping the same "start" icon and the same toolbars and stuff and just changing the theme and color, i want basically a whole new appearance....so a theme is not really what im looking for....any other? i saw it on here once and copied the link to favorites...but reformatted and forgot to save... can't think of any specific words to explain it...and its not anything like a theme either....its has a whole new look to it pretty much..but still works the same way as the default....

you want a shell replacement, like litestep, you do have to sign up do dl it. i've installed it but haven't had the time to get used to it enough to use it on a day to day basis. this would actually work for all nt (i think)/2k/xp

yeah you can replace the shell and find a theme for litestep or you can try reshacking explorer.exe and lots of .dll's and put your own stuff in there :D

For Windows 2000, you can use windowblinds. For XP, either uxtheme.dll patch, or StyleXP, etc.

Tim, that's the first mention of Litestep I've seen in a while. I used it, it was a little strange for me, even though it's supposed to be a little more like Linux.

You could also take a look at DesktopX by Stardock. It's also a shell-replacement program.

-Ace-

Back