Program keeps asking for admin rights in Win 7 - I am admin

WoodiE

Limp Gawd
We've got 2-3 computers here at the office we've put Win7 Pro on for testing, the computers are on a domain and the account logged into the computers is also an admin. We've also even added local admin rights to the user on the computers.

However we've ran into 3-4 programs that continue to keep complaining that they can't install as it needs to be installed by an admin. If we log off the machine and back in using the local admin account the programs install w/o issue.

Does anyone know of a way to fix this issue so that our domain admins can install software w/o having to log into the machine as local admin?

And by local admin account do you mean the default administrator account? The default admin account does not get uac prompts by default as it is always elevated. Some older programs / installers do not ask the os to elevate their process. When this happens you will need manually run the program in an elevated state by using 'run as Administrator'. As long as your domain accounts are in the administrators group on the local machine, this will work fine.

That would be correct, the default admin account.

If i'm logged into the machine as a domain admin and try to run the setups by right clicking and telling the program to run as admin or even as another user (admin of course) I still get the same issue.

I agree I believe it's something to do with the installers as it doesn't happen to all programs I'm installing, then again I never had this issue at all until going to Win7 so there is something not going hand and hand between the two of them for sure.

Do you have the account listed in Local Security Policy under 'act as an administrator' or the win7 equivalent? Could add their domain account to the machine's local security policy list of admins.

Back