Profanity Monitoring Software

xtox

Limp Gawd
Ive been asked by a parent to setup some things on her daughters PC, But when I come to one thing, I'm stumped..

I'm looking for a program that can pick up bad language and such and censor it? This would be in effect for incoming and outgoing messages on chat clients/web browsers and such. It wouldn't allow the word to be sent out or received to be viewable in anyway..

It would also need to be capable of some sort of dictionary to put selected words in that it would censor.

Anyone done something like this?

Why wuld you @#$#@@@$ want to #@@@$#!!! do @#@@!!@ that? :p

(sorry couldnt resist) :p

that would likely be ap specific plugin or filter as I can't quite see it at the OS level working with all sorts of aps having different hooks, it might take two or three

I havent really researched it though

NetNanny, CyberSitter, etc. There are many free programs that will do what you are asking. But, if she runs as an admin, they can kill the app. So, make sure the child doesn't have admin rights.

No, they are locked in pretty tight as a limited user with some other tools and such.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check into them!

VFDking said:

dont worry the kid's got root
or will inside the next year or so :p

parents that arent ahead of their kids are doomed to fail when it comes to computers, even when they do hire help
most of the time when parents want me to do this type of thing, I end up teaching the kid how to keep the computer secure and be the admin for the parents :p

Honestly now this is invading a persons privacy, if the parents are so worried their kids are using foul language on the internet, which...shock shock its all over, then they need to re-evaluate their parenting skills.

MorfiusX said:
NetNanny, CyberSitter, etc. There are many free programs that will do what you are asking. But, if she runs as an admin, they can kill the app. So, make sure the child doesn't have admin rights.

I'd give them a shot as well.

Hey atleast this parent cares about what their kid sees online and isn't letting the gov be the parent.

Back