Problems with watercooling & more

S0mE0nEsMiNd1

Limp Gawd
Ok guys, for the longest time, I simply had a simple CPU water cooled processor on my koolance system. I finally decided...hey...I have water cooling...why not use it to my advantage and water cool my video card and motherboard too? Bad idea for my craptacular knowledge..

Ok so I open up my case, install the waterblock on the video card as directed (but didnt install the ram sinks that came with the waterblock because my card allready has ones that are fine). So after making sure everything was tight, I turn it on...

NOTHING....

My monitor displays nothing as thought its not getting a signal or something from the video card...I turn it off, then on....SOMETHING! It seems to boot fine, then i get a message saying WARNING: An Ultra ATA 66 or higher device is attached to a 40 IDE Pin cable...Speed reduced to ATA 33 (or something similar). Im thinking ok...ive never seen this error message before, and it has to do with a hard drive....odd... So it continues to boot, until it is to load windows....It attempts to load windows and I get some kind of partition error and it wont load.

I turn it off, to try rebooting again...Now it simply doesnt display anything on my monitor, but everything acts like its normal in my case. I switch things around, and go back to only CPU cooling.... and attach the original heatsink back on the video card. Except I dont think its working anymore....I turn it on......15 seconds or later it shuts off, I assume due to overwhelming heat from the processor, which is very odd because its just like it was before (unless I switched around the hoses, which still shoudnt make a difference).

So here are my questions:

1) Would spilling liquid coolant on the video card, motherboard, or processor (just a bit of a glob or some drops) hurt anything much unless it was an abundance?

2) Do you think the problem is now my video card or processor? Do motherboards have auto shutdown for a faulty video card?

3) Whats WRONG :(??? Wy wont my monitor display anything?, it spins on (the 9800 pro), everything seems fine)

4) What else do you reccomend I test, and how do you think I should test it?

1. Dependes where it spilt and what was in the water.
If you unlucky then the impurites in the water could cause a chip/ slot to short out.
Then again people have drenched everything in a gallon of water when their hoses have split . Dried everything and got away with it.

2. ? . There is no shut down for a faulty vidio card.

3. ?

4.Strip it down to minimum spec.
Just CPU, PSU, Vid card, one stick of memory, pc speaker for any beep codes.
No drives or any other cards.
Reseat both vid card and memory.
Clear cmos.
Boot.
If nothing on screen then try booting without vid card. Do you get any beeps for bad vid card.
Try the same thing with the memory.
If still nothing then it prob that either CPU, PSU or MoBo is/ are dead.

Luck....... :D

bah ive had enough with the damn case! I just took off the waterblock and everything and someone is picking up a Thermaltake Volcano 9 Heatsink/Fan on the way home tonight, and im going to put it on...This will fix any problems I probably have, and show if its the vid cards fault. But heres a question that will probably answer weather or not my video card is screwed up.

Considering the fact that my computer was auto shuting down, it must be processor related, because thats the only thing that has auto shutdown protection correct? Now it wasnt showing anything on my monitor, which of course is plugged into the video card. Is it possible that the fact that processor was overheating from the messed up watercooling that it cant process the video card and that the video card is infact still well?

also, the water is koolances own coolant. Heres the only info known

Blue liquid coolant refill for Koolance systems, pre-mixed with distilled water. Total amount = 600cc (20.29 fl oz).

Koolance's liquid contains additive to prevent corrosion. The same additives make it fairly conductive, much more so than plain water.

Over-voltage and over-current (like from Koolance coolant shorting something) can cause shutdowns.

SHIT. FOCK you koolance :( Anyhoo, it wasnt MUCH ever, nothing more than a little glob or 2... everything is going to be thoroughly tested later today, with my new thermaltake volcano 7 HSF, and a case thats coming today. Will report back later, but if anyone else has commetns on if you think anything is messed up feel free to comment.

Try the videocard in someone elses machine. This does kinda sound like overheat protection kicking in - have you checked that your waterblock is seated correctly? Also check the core for cracks on both the video and CPU. I once had a similar problem with the PC shutting off like that but it was also blowing the fuse. I was replacing the heatsink on my GF2 ([H]ardcore hardware in those days) which was glued on and was very difficult to get off. When I fitted the new cooler I started to get random booting issues and decided to take it back off. When I removed it I was cleaning off the AS2 and noticed there was a hairline crack on the GPU (the AS2 made it visible). Well long story short, I glued the original cooler back on with PrittStick (crappy paper glue in the UK) and sent it back for warranty replcement. Worked a treat ;) Maybe its something like thata little dab of AS can make cracks much easier to see so check it out.

well, i had cpu watercooling installed prior to the graphics card one, and i didnt have this problem before, so im sure its seated correctly. I put AS on everyhing, and I dont believe I saw a crack...how hard are cracks to see, and how easily do they happen? Although, I highly doubt this because like I said, I have had CPU watercooling installed prior to it, and it worked like a charm, then I hooked up a video card waterblock...didnt work out too well, and I tried going back to just cpu watercooling, and it didnt work..... thats where I am...I am getting a new computer tommorow that I ordered off ebay, so i can test it in their.

Just be careful with the water. No drips! If you do ensure it is utterly dry first (don't use hairdryer or towels - static, just wait). Never switch on with any water on anything and fill with the PSU unplugged ;)

Back