Problems with my RAID card and 2x CPU's

AMD[H]unter

[H]F Junkie
Well, heres my situation: I have an old Dell Poweredge server that was given to me by my boss. I got everything setup and running Windows 2000 Server. I bought a ATA raid card because the server does not have onboard ATA channels. Anyway, I got the card installed with drivers and Windows seems happy, but my drives do not show up in Windows. I have a 80GB drive and a 40GB drive, and I have triple checked the jumpers, so I know thats not what it is. Anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong? My raid card is a Silicon Image Card.

My second question is about my processors. I have dual 450Mhz P3's and the BIOS recognizes both processors, but the Windows Task Manager only shows one heartbeat. Does this mean that windows doesn't see it? Thanks for any help you guys might have.

Hunter :)

Hi,

You were paying attention. It wasn't you. I moved you, sorry. :eek: Kyle or an Admin will need to move you back if you want to go.

Sorry, Take Care. :)

Have you checked the disk management tool under Adminstrative tools to look for the drives? Remember that if the drives are not partitioned yet they won't show up as a drive in My Computer or anything. You've probably already checked there, but it's good to make sure.

And yeah, if only one cpu graph is shown in the task manager then only one cpu is being used. That's weird...windows 2000 server can take up to 4 cpu's, so I'm not sure what's wrong. Um...I guess double check with cpu-z to see if the second cpu shows up there or not.

Yes, I checked the Disk Manager. The drives aren't there.

I will check with CPU-Z tonight.

Hi,

You were paying attention. It wasn't you. I moved you, sorry. Kyle or an Admin will need to move you back if you want to go.

Sorry, Take Care.

I just wanted it in General Hardware so I might have a better chance of getting an answer. I would like it moved to there, because my system isn't truly a OEM box. But whatever.

After the system bios shows, does the raid card itself have a bios? Most raid controllers that I've seen (integrated into the mobo or not) show their own bios...do the drives show up there? Also, you might have to hit F2 or something during that bios to go setup the arrays? Sorry I don't have too much experience with discrete raid controllers...but those are some things I've seen before.

i also have that raid card. When the computer boots it should say after the mobo bios does its thing the raid card should go through its initialization. It say somthing like "Silicon Image blah blah blah press F3 for setup" and then it should display the two drives and what sizes they are and if they are in raid or not. I believe when i set this card up i had to press F3 and make it raid 1 or 0 or JBOD (just a bunch of disks). hope this helps

mattgyver79 said:
i also have that raid card. When the computer boots it should say after the mobo bios does its thing the raid card should go through its initialization. It say somthing like "Silicon Image blah blah blah press F3 for setup" and then it should display the two drives and what sizes they are and if they are in raid or not. I believe when i set this card up i had to press F3 and make it raid 1 or 0 or JBOD (just a bunch of disks). hope this helps

Thanks, I think thats what I needed.

Now on to the dual CPU problems.

Now I still have problems. I can't get into the BIOS of the RAID card. I can hit F3 all day, and it doesn't go to the BIOS, it just starts going to the OS. Strange! Any ideas?

Do you see the mobo bios text --> raid card text --> OS or mobo bios text --> OS?
Have you tried the card in different pci slots?
Does the card work in a different computer?

On some motherboards there is a setting in the bios for "scsi bios" or something. Make sure this is enabled if it is there. It should be enabled by default if it is a server.

Back