Problems with BFG 6800oc

Luclin999

n00b
Ordered this last week from Overstock. Arrived Tuesday and worked really well until Friday when my PC shut down in the middle of a game while emitting a continuous "Beeeeep" until the power was disconnected.

I rebooted and ran the game again but this time started monitoring the temp settings and saw that the card was sitting idle at 63c and at load was heading up to 93c.

Just before I was about to shut it down, the same shutdown/beeeep happened but this time the 6800 card refused to power back up completely.

The card would start to light up and the fans would spin for about one second but then would shut down leaving me with a failed POST.

I moved the card to another system (one with an Antec 380w PS) and had the same results so it doesn't look like the power supply was at issue. I also put my XFX 6800 into the original machine and that card powered up without a problem.

I've contacted BFG and they are shipping a replacement card (Should be here Wednesday) but I would really like to have some idea of just why the first card died before seriously investing time/effort into the new one.

Overheating? Bad capacitor? something else?

Also, since I am not happy with the idea of my card going to 93+ under load (my XFX card only hits about 82 max and it's jammed into my SFF Box) I'd like some advise on the best heatsink recommendations for the 6800oc.

Thank you..

Leo

Check the original thread in the [H]ot Deals section- it looks like a lot of these cards had issues. It may be a repeat of the PNY/CompUSA/Black Friday fiasco!

well whats your FXF card

as far as i know all the 6800's run in the 80s to 90s under load

Elios said:
well whats your FXF card

as far as i know all the 6800's run in the 80s to 90s under load

I also put my XFX 6800 into the original machine...

It runs at 83c idle. Ten full degrees under the BFG card in the same case/system.

Leo

My 6800nu runs 425/790 @ 60c load and 41c idle with volt mod and stock cooling...well I put some AS5 on it of course. The 6800nu gets freaky around 80c. The BFG 6800nu is the best bang for your buck card out there. They are the Chaintech 64mb Ti4200s of today.

Well I got the replacement from BFG today. (After paying $25 to have it shipped via UPS 2 day)

I was afraid that there might be a problem as soon as I opened the box. The card was in a static bag, bouncing around in a 12"x14" box with only four loose 12"x12" pieces of bubble wrap to "protect" it. The bubble wrap didn't even cover the card on the top and bottom. The card was just sitting on top of it all free to bounce off of the top and sides of the box unprotected.

Plugged it in and immediately had corruption of the image all over the screen. Tried it in two other PCs and had the exact same result.

Basically the memory on the second card is fried.

And here I though BFG actually had a quality control system.

Expecting a call back from them in the morning as to how they will handle this now. But frankly I they are going to have a hard time convincing me to be "happy" after this.

Curiously enough, both of the defective cards were passed originally by Inspector #60 according to the tags on them.

Luclin999 said:
Well I got the replacement from BFG today. (After paying $25 to have it shipped via UPS 2 day)

I was afraid that there might be a problem as soon as I opened the box. The card was in a static bag, bouncing around in a 12"x14" box with only four loose 12"x12" pieces of bubble wrap to "protect" it. The bubble wrap didn't even cover the card on the top and bottom. The card was just sitting on top of it all free to bounce off of the top and sides of the box unprotected.

Plugged it in and immediately had corruption of the image all over the screen. Tried it in two other PCs and had the exact same result.

Basically the memory on the second card is fried.

And here I though BFG actually had a quality control system.

Expecting a call back from them in the morning as to how they will handle this now. But frankly I they are going to have a hard time convincing me to be "happy" after this.

Curiously enough, both of the defective cards were passed originally by Inspector #60 according to the tags on them.

Honestly, I don't really trust their life-time warranty.......I have heard that their replacement quality is really not good.........that's y I return my BFG ......

Hey Luclin999, I'm sorry to hear you had a problem with your replacement card. Please send me a private message when you get a chance. Thanks. :)

Well after Michael from BFG got involved things straightened out rather nicely.

They overnighted a new BFG 6800GT to me this afternoon to replace the defective 6800nu card.

The new card was packed very securely (covered in packing material and wrapped in a BFG T-Shirt) ;) and works beautifully in the system.

I want to thank Michael and BFG for going the to extra effort to satisfy the customer and for sending me the upgraded card.

Now I just need to pack up the defective ones and get them shipped back to BFG.

once more this is why EVERY ONE thats looking at getting a NV card should ONLY buy from BFG :D

Back