Problems with any thumb drive/external HD used with Vista.

BrandonB

2[H]4U
This is ridiculous. Why does Vista need a freaking driver for a hard drive in an external enclosure? It's BS! None of my thumb drives or external HDs work with Vista. Is there any fix for this? It's just absolutely absurd. Help me please! :(

P.S.: Installing XP instead of Vista does not count as a solution.

You don't need drivers for them in Vista. Do any USB devices work? Are you sure you have the proper chipset drivers loaded, and the USB ports are detected and functioning properly?

Are you sure your thumbdrive/external HDD work on another PC? What was the last day you actually checked these pieces of hardware on another system?

I've been seeing a lot of dead USB drives lately...

The easy way to rebuild your USB root hub drivers is to remove everything from the USB section in device manager -> reboot.

I use a number of different external hard drives and usb drives on my Vista 64 build and haven't had a problem. Does anything else work on the usb ports, ie keyboard, mouse? Are these the usb ports on the mb itself or on the front of the case? Just checking to see if they're wired correctly.

P.S.: Installing XP instead of Vista does not count as a solution.

damn !!!

:p

i´ve seen that problem even in Win XP, that happened to me once, i had a lot of crap installed, so i decided to reinstall everything, then it worked like a charm.

Sorry for the delayed response,

Yes, all the latest drivers are installed, including chipset. My USB keyboard and mouse work fine and of course my printer has no problems.

This is what it's doing and when I click find driver or whatever, it never finds anything.

driver.jpg

Are these the usb ports on the mb itself or on the front of the case? Just checking to see if they're wired correctly.

All the USB ports are on the motherboard (6) and then I have 2 or 3 up front on my case and those work fine with my iPod but nothing else.

Try this. On the screen that's in your screen shot select the "Locatate and Install driver software" and then browse to the directory C:\Windows\system32\DriverStore.

I've had this exact problem. You need drivers for USB flash and hard drives, and they are supposed to picked up automatically. For some reason they don't and picking from the above location fixed this issue for me.

Try this. On the screen that's in your screen shot select the "Locatate and Install driver software" and then browse to the directory C:\Windows\system32\DriverStore.

I've had this exact problem. You need drivers for USB flash and hard drives, and they are supposed to picked up automatically. For some reason they don't and picking from the above location fixed this issue for me.

driver2.jpg
:(

I'm experiencing the same one, I had the same thing happening for a long time. No idea how to fix it, I was gonna try to get SP1 and see if that solves it, but I'm not sure I wanna put beta crap on here. blah

Back