Problems w/ 2 comps and Crossover

Linkin Park

Limp Gawd
Hi, i have a laptop and a desktop computer, i have files on the laptop that i want transfered to the desktop computer using a crossover cable. I hook them up and i share folders on both of them. THey're on the same workgroup. I renew the IP's and repair them. IF i go to workgroup computers i can see the other computer but if i double click it it says its not accessible. Does anyone know whats wrong. because this is soo frustrating. I have gotten it to work before but nwo im out of ideas

P.S. IMO i think that it has somethign to do w/ my schools internet. On the desktop it hooks up to the schools internet and i believe that it changes some settings or somethign. is this possible to make it so i cant see the other computer?

forgot to mention that both are on win xp profesional w/ sp1

Originally posted by Linkin Park
Hi, i have a laptop and a desktop computer, i have files on the laptop that i want transfered to the desktop computer using a crossover cable. I hook them up and i share folders on both of them. THey're on the same workgroup. I renew the IP's and repair them. IF i go to workgroup computers i can see the other computer but if i double click it it says its not accessible. Does anyone know whats wrong. because this is soo frustrating. I have gotten it to work before but nwo im out of ideas

P.S. IMO i think that it has somethign to do w/ my schools internet. On the desktop it hooks up to the schools internet and i believe that it changes some settings or somethign. is this possible to make it so i cant see the other computer?

forgot to mention that both are on win xp profesional w/ sp1

Does the desktop computer belong to you or the school? If your trying to move files to a school owned computer, you'd be better off asking the sysadmin there.

ok, you need to set up the gateways:

set up comp A as 192.168.1.1
set up comp B as 192.168.1.2
set each subnet mask as 255.255.255.0
make the gateway of comp A 192.168.1.2
make the gateway of comp B 192.168.1.1

Try that and see if that works
:D

gateways do not matter in this situation, considering the two computers will be the only boxes on the network, they do not need a gateway to get out anywhere, cuz they can't! :p

Are you using a logon account that is common to both systems and that has permission to those folders?

instead of browsing to the computer by name, browse to it by ip address.

give them both static ip's on the same subnet (i.e. 10.10.10.1 for one, and 10.10.10.2 for the other)

in IE, type (without the quotes) "\\10.10.10.1" and hit enter. the shares should pop up.

I would make sure they can ping each other too.

Back