Problems switching from a workgroup to a domain.

DatHak512

Gawd
Long story short, i'm using Win2kPro and am trying to move a computer out of the "workgroup" workgroup, and join it into the domain "SIA". I'm working for my old high school, and am trying to set up a teacher's machine without having to reformat it. I have all the nessecary rights, but this just isn't working. Under the Network Information tab (when you right click on My Computer) i'll click Properties, select the Domain radio button, and type SIA. Now i'll type Administrator and the corresponding password. (In fact, it doesn't even matter what user name or password i use: i still get the same result every time.) What i always get is this dialog box:
The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "SIA":
The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials.

Now I've changed the NETBIOS name on this machine a few times (maybe that will help?), and even clicked on the Network ID button instead of the Properties button, and completed that wizzard, but i always get the same message. Does anyone know what "credentials" Windows is talking about, or how i should go about fixing this?

Things to try:

for the username, try sia\administrator and the password

I'm assuming you have access on the AD server(s), check the policies of the domain and make sure everything is in place to allow a machine in the domain.

Has there ever been another machine with the same name in the domain? You may need to go to the AD users and computers snap in and delete a computer of the same name.

Well, i just deleted the record of the computer from the AD Users and Computers snap-in (i had added it earler try to solve this same problem), so we'll see if that fixes anything. But wouldn't my changing the netBIOS name of the comptuer to something random have the same effect as deleting the record from the AD snap-in?

I'd assume that everything is in place to let me add machines to the domain, because i've been adding machines (~30) to the domain for the last two weeks: right after i install Win2k on every one i add it to the domain, and that's been working perfectly so far.

I'll go try the 'sia/administrator' thing, i'd have never thought to do that: thanks.

Sorry for the two-in-a-row posting, but...

If i use the "sia/administrator" or "SIA/Administrator" method, then Windows gives me the same dialog box as before, only the bottom line reads simply:
The parameter is incorrect.

This happens even if i enter in gibberish for the password and/or username.

DatHak512 said:
Sorry for the two-in-a-row posting, but...

If i use the "sia/administrator" or "SIA/Administrator" method, then Windows gives me the same dialog box as before, only the bottom line reads simply:
The parameter is incorrect.

This happens even if i enter in gibberish for the password and/or username.

Use a backslash(eg \ not / ). A forward slash won't identify it to the domain.

If it's still not working, then I don't know. Was the machine on a different domain at some point and maybe pick up policies from that domain? I'd do a google search and see if you can find anything, and if not, format. It all depends on how much time you want to spend on it. For me, it's easier to do a fresh install.

sandmanx said:
It all depends on how much time you want to spend on it. For me, it's easier to do a fresh install.
Yeah, i hear that. It's just that it's a teacher's machine, so it'll be a hassle for me to get them to find what files they want to back up, etc.

As to the /or\ deal, neither would work: i just got the first error dialog box error message again. Ah well. I guess i'll go ahead and ask the teacher if she needs anything to save before i slick the disk :rolleyes: :).

I don't think it was on a diffirent domain before, because it was set on a workgroup when i first looked at it. Oh well... hey, but i appreciate the help.

edit: My friend whom i'm working with had left the computer logged in, so this was supposed to be posted by me, DatHak, and not sniper :D.

If DNS weren't correct you wouldn't even get the credentials box to join the domain, but I would double-check that.

If that's good, try renaming the machine in the network properties and reboot then try again.

If that's a no-go, nuke and pave the box. :p

Rename the computer.
Reboot the computer.
Login as the local Administrator.

Go into the command prompt and type "net use" then press enter.
Look for any connections on the domain and delete them like
\\domaincomputer\blah /delete

Join the domain using the domain Administrator account.

DOMAIN\Administrator
password

Reboot the computer.
Login as a domain user with permission to rename a workstation and create computer accounts.
Rename the computer.

dustin said:
Rename the computer.
Reboot the computer.
Login as the local Administrator.

Go into the command prompt and type "net use" then press enter.
Look for any connections on the domain and delete them like
\\domaincomputer\blah /delete

Join the domain using the domain Administrator account.

DOMAIN\Administrator
password

Reboot the computer.
Login as a domain user with permission to rename a workstation and create computer accounts.
Rename the computer.
Thanks, i'll give that a shot tomorrow when i get back to work.

Back