Problem with Zydas1211 based wireless adaptor in Ubuntu Edgy

hunter33

Limp Gawd
Hey all, I just built a "kitchen PC" for my wife out of some spare parts. I already had a spare tv card and bought her an inexpensive 19" widescreen LCD and vesa bracket to mount over a countertop. She wants to be able to watch a little tv/listen to music and check email/do internet stuff while working in the kitchen. Anyways this is my 4th home computer and I don't have a copy of any current OS to put on it so I installed Ubuntu Edgy. My wife doesn't know much about computers but this should work fine for the simple tasks she wants to use it for.

I had it hardwired to the DSL router to set up and install everything but there is no ethernet in the kitchen so I got a USB 802.11 pen adaptor off Ebay. It's a Zydas 1211 based no-name adaptor and Ubuntu does recognize it. I don't know Linux/Ubuntu real well yet but read that while drivers may be preloaded that the firmware for wireless adaptors has to be "activated". I've installed Network Manager and it does not see the wireless adaptor although Ubuntu does see it in network interfaces. I've tried to install generic Zydas1211 firmware with no luck, and would like to get it working without having to use ndiswrapper. Any ideas on how to get Network Manager to see the wireless adaptor?

Thanks

Back